Raised breathers and timing cover breather questions

I have invested in some raised breathers and a Timing cover breather.

4 questions

I take it the timing cover goes here

Timingcover.jpg

2nd question is another silly one but it needs to be done right which way round does it go?

This way....PIC 1

pic2.jpg

or this way PIC 2

pic1.jpg

One more thing does anyone know if the Air filter housing is steel or ali, I havent had a chance to take it out and have a look yet, As my crankcase breather pipe has nowhere to attach too and a new one sounds expensive.

Thanks

Dave.

I'd say your second pic is the outward side for 3 reasons: it looks better; it gives more clearance for the injection pump nut; if you mount it the other way the lip won't let it seal will it?

Where did you get it and how much btw?

I thought the gear box and timing case wading nuts needed to be removed for normal driving so that if anything leaks it gets out instead of swimming around inside?

So the breather is all very well but you wont know if something is wrong and you will need to keep going under, undoing the plugs and checking for fluids...

Yes, its pritty important to take them out at least once a week......water can sometimes still find its way in, and also the reason the hole is there is incase of an oil leak the oild can get out, when you finally get it out pop a pit of cooper slip in the threads makes them nice and easy to take out.

dont forget the timing cover one too!

Dave.