Winch mounting question, can they go any way up?

New prezzie for my Rangie just arrived (winch) so I've been offering it up . Need to make a mounting tray. I was wondering if you can mount these with the mounting feet pointing fowards, rather than the usual DOWN. I'm trying to conceal the winch but want to be able to get to the freewheel lever. If so, does the winch have to be a certain way up, and just out of curiosity, can it be mounted upside down (freewheel control pointing downward) or do they have oil inside that would fall out .

winch8.jpg

I'm actually wondering if I can mount it on the rear now, for several reasons.

1 I really don;t need any more weight up front !

2 i dont want to restrict the airflow to the rad, it's already got less than in a Patrol

3 I can use it for winching myself back out of places rather then fowards, and since i'm not planning on offroading, its more of an emergency device it may be better at the rear.

4 i could winch cars onto my trailer with it

but could be tricky as I will have a towbar etc. But at least then ! Better leave this bit 'til last .

maybe some kind of clever in-car swing-away mount could be made. (winch stows at the side when not in use.)

anyone done anything like that on a standard rangie?

I'm actually wondering if I can mount it on the rear now, for several reasons.

1 I really don;t need any more weight up front !

2 i dont want to restrict the airflow to the rad, it's already got less than in a Patrol

3 I can use it for winching myself back out of places rather then fowards, and since i'm not planning on offroading, its more of an emergency device it may be better at the rear.

4 i could winch cars onto my trailer with it

but could be tricky as I will have a towbar etc. But at least then ! Better leave this bit 'til last .

maybe some kind of clever in-car swing-away mount could be made. (winch stows at the side when not in use.)

anyone done anything like that on a standard rangie?

Seeing as you are already having to go down the SVA route and have some skill in fabrication why not fab up a demountable sytem for front or rear using a replacement front and rear X member

If you want to use it front and back, make up a cradle to mount it to

then attach it to your vehicles recovery points (not the tie down points)

with high tensile chain or cable similar to that on the winch.

MAKE SURE WHAT EVER YOU USE IS "RATED" TO HANDLE THE STRENGTH

OF THE WINCHES PULLING POWER.

That way you and onlookers won't get hurt.

You can stow it in the vehicle and when you want it, attach it like you would a

snatch strap or similar.

Neale