Fitting tyres to beadlock wheels

running 35s on 16-7 modulars you need a minimum of 3.5 inches backspace

on those rims it can vary between 4.25 or 4.5

a 30mm spacer gives plenty of clearance

The wheels have 4.5" backspace so I will run spacers, :rolleyes: and that will then give me around 3.25" backspace. So should be about right, and therefore I will receive my steering lock back.

This weekend should see the first test of my fabbed wheels - we've discussed this in other threads before, so I wont re-detail. I fitted mine exactly as per Lewis, it took the best part of 8 hours to do all 5 wheels, but drafted in a mate to do three!

My tip would be to use some copper grease on the bolts... :)

Moose, are you possibly talking after seeing me shear 10 bolts in one wheel :ph34r:

No point having beadlocks and running TUBES !!!!!

Exactly Rizla, why the hell would you fit bead locks and then fit inner tubes, it's like kissing your mum... My beads seal with no sealant or removal of the bead ribs.

This weekend should see the first test of my fabbed wheels - we've discussed this in other threads before, so I wont re-detail. I fitted mine exactly as per Lewis, it took the best part of 8 hours to do all 5 wheels, but drafted in a mate to do three!

Moose, are you possibly talking after seeing me shear 10 bolts in one wheel :ph34r:

Exactly Rizla, why the hell would you fit bead locks and then fit inner tubes, it's like kissing your mum... My beads seal with no sealant or removal of the bead ribs.

Rich, did you use a tyre machine or did you do it by hand with levers? I am hoping to do it with a tyre machine so should save me a bit of time :rolleyes:

Rhys

Rich, did you use a tyre machine or did you do it by hand with levers? I am hoping to do it with a tyre machine so should save me a bit of time :rolleyes:

Rhys

My tyres slipped so easily over my wheels it would have taken longer using a tyre machine

Hmm, I do tend to agree with you - stems disappear down the holes resulting in tearing and I had no end of problems with chafing (we're talking inner tube's here :ph34r: ). However, sealing homemade single bead locks can be interesting and tubes may reduce the chance of popping the inner bead.

If I run my ss ltb's at say 6psi will that risk popping the inner bead? They have an 8ply side wall remember!!! It is just I am cautious about fitting these tyres without tubes as to take them all off again to fit tubes would be a nightmare and a job I really don't want to have to do twice :angry: Hmmmmm.........What do I do??? :unsure:

Hmmmmm.........What do I do??? :unsure:

Get double beadlocks :ph34r:

How about getting some 'D' tubes off stazworks and running them in the non beadlocked side of the rim?

Sorry not much help there, Will.

Fitted mine with levers (actually Snap On prybars, because they don't bend). The first was a fight, but once you get the knack its 2 or 3 minutes to get the bead over the rim. As Lewis said it would actually take longer to get them set upon the tyre machine.

I'll be testing mine at 5psi next week, so I'll let you know about inner bead :ph34r:

Get double beadlocks :ph34r:

Exactly :lol: TBH, you will run a risk of popping a bead with single bead locks but its no certainly. Some people may never pop a bead while others may have issue. If it never happened no one would sell double bead locks but if it happened all the time no one would sell or run single bead locks :P

• 1 month later...

Oh boy I am sooooo pleased :i-m_so_happy:

After waiting a staggering 12 weeks for my tyres, they have finally arrived today. :)

This will then give me the job of fitting the tyres to the rims, and by the feel and weight of each tyre, that may not come easy :( These tyres are very, very tough. For me to sit on it and hardly even bulge at the bottom, means they may become interesting to fit, but we will see ;)

Here is a few pics;

post-6427-1211321185_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1211321220_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1211321236_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1211321256_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1211321347_thumb.jpg

Looking really good Rhys :D

The rest of the wheels will good together much quicker now you know how. And then you can go out, get in some mud, let them down to 5psi and tell us all how they do!

Thanks Rich,

Messing around with pressures on my drive I have aired them down to 5psi, and TBH they stayed fairly well inflated. I assume this is because they have an 8ply side wall?

As soon as I get everything else done and get the time to get it in the mud, I will let you know. :)

Messing around with pressures on my drive I have aired them down to 5psi, and TBH they stayed fairly well inflated. I assume this is because they have an 8ply side wall?

I've run my SSRs at 10 psi off road now (they've got a 6 ply side wall) and same as you they stay pretty well inflated. It's when you run up a step or out of a rut that they squash up under the load and you get the extra traction. Mine are incredible over hard, rough ground - and I'm getting them out on some proper rocks up at Seven Sisters in two weeks time :D