V6.....any good

smo

I haven't got a V6 (got a TD4 instead) because I was made aware of this website in the US. Pretty scary stuff.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea90db/976

Good luck

I only had a quick scan of that link, but it seems to be one bloke with a bad example and a chip on his shoulder.....add that to being american and a pinch of salt for internet artistic license and im not overly worried!!

I've got a mate with an MGZR with the same V6 in and he loves it, just wondering what its like when in a Freelander as its either V6 or TD4 (the latter is my preference)

How badly drink like a fish Bill? Sub 20mpg?

Yes!! Last time I drove 1 full tank equalled 230 miles V6 versus 380 Td4.

I like the engine noise and revs, not huge amounts of torque, but still goes pretty well esp if a later 1 with sport suspension!

Check for same issues as 1.8, + listen from dead cold start up should not be any metallic rattle from inlet manifold (indicate butterfly wear from memory - the fix was to fit new inlet manifold and download different engine managment program to prevent happening again - again from memory).

Mark.

Yes!! Last time I drove 1 full tank equalled 230 miles V6 versus 380 Td4.

I like the engine noise and revs, not huge amounts of torque, but still goes pretty well esp if a later 1 with sport suspension!

Check for same issues as 1.8, + listen from dead cold start up should not be any metallic rattle from inlet manifold (indicate butterfly wear from memory - the fix was to fit new inlet manifold and download different engine managment program to prevent happening again - again from memory).

Mark.

We had a V6 for 9 months 3 of which were with the dealer because it needed a new engine because of head gasket failure. only had 26k on the clock when it failed. We replaced it with a TD4 Auto HSE which was fabulour and that was repalced last year with a FL2 HSE which is also Fabulour.

V6 we got 17MPG only slightly better than my Classic Range Rover.

We had a V6 for 9 months 3 of which were with the dealer because it needed a new engine because of head gasket failure. only had 26k on the clock when it failed. We replaced it with a TD4 Auto HSE which was fabulour and that was repalced last year with a FL2 HSE which is also Fabulour.

V6 we got 17MPG only slightly better than my Classic Range Rover.

Hi

I have had a 2002 V6 for about 14 months it depends how you drive it .You get low MPG if you race it around in sports mode .But if you drive sensible you could be very surprised .i got 1 with some toys which make it enjoyable .Yes it has been in the gauge for engine management faults .but also I have been able to rectify faults in using this disscusion hub.I used to drive a Disco diesel and it use a high level of fuel so I am happy with my V6 freelander

chris

Hi

I have had a 2002 V6 for about 14 months it depends how you drive it .You get low MPG if you race it around in sports mode .But if you drive sensible you could be very surprised .i got 1 with some toys which make it enjoyable .Yes it has been in the gauge for engine management faults .but also I have been able to rectify faults in using this disscusion hub.I used to drive a Disco diesel and it use a high level of fuel so I am happy with my V6 freelander

chris

Buffy

Would agree that it depends on driing stlye but my wife drove it most of the time and she is not what I would call a fast driver We only had the car for 4000 miles as it spent so much time in the garage.

The V6's are well spec'ed but personally I would forget them.