V8 water pump

hattymender

The water pump's shot on my new toy and needs to come off. I've undone all the bolts (yes all, I checked) and given it a gentle tap or two with rubber mallet to break seal. Nothing. I gave it a harder tap. Or two. Nothing.

Now before I go into Basil Fawlty mode and give it a damn good thrashing (with bigger hammer) I thought I'd check. Is there a trick to the V8 pump or just a case of breaking the seal?

Rich

I think there might be a dowel in there somewhere. Don't attack it too enthusiastically or you'll be doing the timing cover too :o

That's what worries me. Timing cover looks delecate. If it was a good old cast iron 4 pot I'd have given it a good crack to break seal. I think it's stuck on the stud that the alternator bracket pivots on and 'someting else'. I'll try locking up a couple of nuts on the stud and see if it will come out.

Cheers

Rich

There are dowels between the halves which is not helping.

The pic in Haynes looks like there are 15 bolts.

There is a ring of bolts following the diameter of the housing then another four along the bottom which means a couple are almost out of sight underneath and behind the pulley if it is still fitted.

Steve

The water pump's shot on my new toy and needs to come off. I've undone all the bolts (yes all, I checked) and given it a gentle tap or two with rubber mallet to break seal. Nothing. I gave it a harder tap. Or two. Nothing.

Now before I go into Basil Fawlty mode and give it a damn good thrashing (with bigger hammer) I thought I'd check. Is there a trick to the V8 pump or just a case of breaking the seal?

Rich

Before it comes off have you made sure that the bolts are identified from where you took them out?

They are all different and impossible if you have not used a sheet of card and pressed them through in exactly the correct orientation to it's mate, the card holds them in place until it's time to re-assemble.

Use a soft mallet and try some easing fluid, Wurth is the best gets anything unstuck! Big hammers are for diesisis, sorry just cannot say that word, not for V8's :lol:

There are dowels between the halves which is not helping.

The pic in Haynes looks like there are 15 bolts.

There is a ring of bolts following the diameter of the housing then another four along the bottom which means a couple are almost out of sight underneath and behind the pulley if it is still fitted.

Steve

Think I've got all the bolts, including the 13mm and 10mm head ones hiding behind the pulley.

The pully's another problem. At some point the original fan was removed (badly) and kenlows fitted. The pulley won't come off the shaft. It looks as if there's a bit of the old fan boss, nut or whatever still on the end of the shaft. Do new pumps come with the drive flange? If so I can just chop the old shaft to get the pulley off.

Rich

Think I've got all the bolts, including the 13mm and 10mm head ones hiding behind the pulley.

The pully's another problem. At some point the original fan was removed (badly) and kenlows fitted. The pulley won't come off the shaft. It looks as if there's a bit of the old fan boss, nut or whatever still on the end of the shaft. Do new pumps come with the drive flange? If so I can just chop the old shaft to get the pulley off.

Rich

Yes, should be a 3 or 4 bolt hole flange to accept pulley / viscous coupling.

BUT have you identified them?

Yes, should be a 3 or 4 bolt hole flange to accept pulley / viscous coupling.

BUT have you identified them?

Er, no. I only went into garage to kill five minutes before tea. Thought I'd take pump off. 5 minute job. Two hours later I've a small container full of bolts (un-identified), a stuck pump, a cold tea, and a p!##ed of wife. So situation normal.

V8 water pumops have 2x dowels.

However they also have sneakily hidden bolts - my guess is you have missed one - not difficult

There are a couple of bolts that are hugely tricky to see, work 1mm by 1mm and work top to bottom, you'll prob find at least one

You won't be the 1st or last to do this

nige

Victory is mine!!! Got the bu##er! It was stuck on the dowels.

Now, according to the book of lies I should 'remove' the pulley drive flange. Remove? How? My bet is to get the pump impeller in a vice, put some heat on the drive flange and give it heave ho with a pair of stilsons. Anybody done this before?

out of interest does it not show which length bolts go in which holes in the book of lies/manual?

Probably not, my CD ROM does itemise the bolts for the nas and from that you could get all the correct bolts and know where they go, but knowing LR only for a '95 3.9 litre :P

I guess hattymender will need some assistance when the new pump goes back on.......................... :rolleyes:

Oh, you pessimists! :P With helpful forecasts like this I hardly need the wife! She's been forecasting "he'll never put it back together" for over a quarter of a century now from everything from Vivas to through to Freelanders and Defenders (Sometimes she was right, but I'd not admit it)