Second hand values trend

As anyone noticed how second hand values changing with the new car tax regime introduced this month? I have an 04 reg TD4 auto Freelander which just comes in the G rating and will cost £300 for road tax this year and £400 next. Just wondering if values generally have been hit already or do I offload it before April 2009?

Any views?

My view is it's another reason to have an older car - apart from the obvious reduction in carbon footprint by keeping something older on the road.

I'd like to think the govt realised this, but more likely they're just trying to screw everyone for a bit more for all the usual reasons...

As fridge has pointed out, older cars 'escape' this.

I spose that the newer petrol cars will be hit hardest as petrol has had a higher co2 rating than diesel, hence the large numbers of derv company cars..... cheaper Benefit in Kind tax for the driver.

Anything registered before 1st March 2001, escapes the VED rises, if my 2.0 Accord was 1 year newer it would get hit by the higher rates of VED with 224co2/ km

Geuss that people will only take notice of the increased VED on cars once they start paying it, so maybe if it concerns you, sell sooner?

I think it's happening already. I have been looking for a Disco 2 Td5 for a couple of months. It's for the missus and she has a very definitive of what she wants, colour and everything! So we started looking about a month before our wonderfull gov decided to fleece us for even more. We thought the market might shift so have been watching it very carefully. We started looking to spend 10 to 12 K now we are looking more around the 8 and a half to 10 for one. Now just waiting to see if things settle down before I spend any cash.

Brookers

Anything registered before 1st March 2001, escapes the VED rises, if my 2.0 Accord was 1 year newer it would get hit by the higher rates of VED with 224co2/ km

My 02 reg Disco 2 misses the VED rise. Just had the reminder/renewal form through and it's still an extortionate £205!!

I think the market is slowing down as a whole. Not just cars - we are struggling to sell houses due to the economic slow-down. There is just less money being spent. Apart from on modifications and spares for the 90, of course!!

Buyers market at the moment.....