More than one way of skining a......door

Hi,

I was thinking of replacing the lower half of my passenger door frame as it is quite rusty with defender door repair sections.

What I wanted to know is how easy is to peel back the door skins to access the frame to start the repair.

Is this a bad idea because I can see the paint is not going to like it and flake off, I spose you could take the whole skin off.

Anybody have any ideas, experience with doing this.

Thanks

Steve

A few years ago I reskinned a door of my Non -LR car, strip the door to it's bare shell, then using a file or angle grinder cut through the edge just enough so it'll peel back with a lever/hammer, once the folded over strip is opened up, it should be fairly easy to remove the door skin, you might have to cut some bonding glue to fully release the door frame & skin. then clean the frame up/repair if needed & apply some sealant to the frame & fit the new skin & carefully fold the edge down.

You will not get the old skin off without trashing the paintwork and most likely the skin itself.

If you did manage to open it up, I would expect a lot of filler work to make the skin look something like after refitting.

Reskinning doors needs to be done VERY carefully as it is very easy to damage the skin when folding the edges over, especially if you don't have the right tools. And with a new skin you have no issues of stretched and work hardened metal.