defender v discovery

Guest diesel_jim

Yup, the defender engine has the same as a disco.

less electronics on the defender body though... some disco's have ASC (actica stability control), like an electronically controlled anti-rollbar system.

Td5's arn;t too bad though, much less hassle than "non believers" would have you think, and the main sensor, the crankshaft position sensor, is the one that will give you real problems if it dies, so carry a spare.

the engine will, apparently, run with every other sensor disconneted, albiet in limp mode, but at least it'll run.

Yes it was ACE, and even with a loaded roofrack the disco will still corner better (with less body roll) than any other disco/defender.

If you are talking about spare sensors for trips you'll want a throttle position sensor too. If that goes the engine will only idle on a Td5.

ASC, i thought it was called ACE - active cornering enhancement.

They also have ASC but that is anti shunt control - the bit that makes the throttle seems like it is connected to the engine management by two sort of great big paddle things in a vat of custard when in low range, so you move the throttle, the custard churns for a bit, and then something eventually happens :)

Disconnecting the clutch sensor is a good cure for ASC...

i thought ASC was just the clutch connector - ie it works in high and low range and means that the engine will hold the revs and let them drop slowly when the clutch is pushed to help the engine maintain its rpm for a smooth change rather than the revs dropping straight to idle as per std.

As BM says a real pain the arse though, worth disconnecting.

I thought the low range throttle mapping was controlled by a different system, didnt know it was part of ASC.

i thought ASC was just the clutch connector - ie it works in high and low range and means that the engine will hold the revs and let them drop slowly when the clutch is pushed to help the engine maintain its rpm for a smooth change rather than the revs dropping straight to idle as per std.

As BM says a real pain the arse though, worth disconnecting.

I thought the low range throttle mapping was controlled by a different system, didnt know it was part of ASC.

Yes ASC is just the delay/damping built into the throttle response, nothing else. The custard is just a bit thicker in high range :)