Oil leaks in the gearbox area

Ryan

In the time that I have owned my Discovery (1994, 300TDI, manual), it has resolutely refused to leak any oil...until now. While I was underneath sorting out my new breathers, I noticed some drips in my parking space. I had a look around and saw the following:

gallery_1731_201_29832.jpg

Now there has always been a bit of oil on the wading plug when I remove it (I usually leave it in until I remember I ought to take it out...), but it is normally just on the surface of the plug - nothing resembling what it is the above picture.

gallery_1731_201_48227.jpg

gallery_1731_201_48882.jpg

To be honest, I not noticed if there was any "dampness" in the above area before, but as can been seen on the bottom picture, there is definitely oil building up on the top left bolt.

Should I be worried? Am I getting paranoid?

Ryan

P.S. Apologies in advance, but I won't be able to answer any replies/queries until tomorrow now, as I am just off to work. Toodle-oo.

Bell housing/flywheel housing leak is the crank rear seal unless there's evidence of it running down from the sump joint.

The gearbox pics are where the transfer box joins the gearbox, and is a common problem. The bolt with a drip on is actually one of the transfer case sump bolts, but the oil might be just collecting there before dripping off. Best thing to do is clean it all, go for a short drive, and look again to see where it's actually coming from - actually :)

Les.

Just got in from work...

Thanks guys, I feel a bit more reassured now. I was fearing something like:

"OMG, FFS, get it into a garage...stat...it won't take no-more Cap'n" etc, etc...

I'll try and get underneath this afternoon once I've got some beauty sleep :ph34r:

In the long term the prognosis may not be good..............

The bell housing leak is most likely (and worst case) the rear crank oil seal ............... it will get worse in time...........to fix is either engine or gearbox out ........ I prefer the former but others prefer the latter.................although as Tony suggested it could be a leaky slave cylinder, however, for it to be that wet I would have expected you to have noticed that the clutch pedal was 'different'

The leak on the transfer box looks like the 'O' ring seal in the forward end of the intermediate shaft .............. this is a common problem on high mileage boxes and it will get worse with time. The only way it can be fixed is to remove the transfer box and replace the seal, however, usually at the mileage when this seal plays up the rest of the box is 'debatable' ...................

:)

Ian

In the long term the prognosis may not be good..............
But you only need to worry when it stops leaking :huh:

:huh::blink:

I'm more confused than ever now. I'm don't think I'll be able to check the breathers without taking the gearbox out. The clutch is a good (or bad) as it has ever been - don't think it's that. The odometer just went past 158,000 miles this evening, so the gearbox and transfer box have lasted a couple of miles. The gearstick has been a bit notchy since I've owned it - no refusals, but not smooth. I'm guessing there is the possibility I'm going to have to get reconditioned units fitted.

:huh::blink:

I'm more confused than ever now. I'm don't think I'll be able to check the breathers without taking the gearbox out.

Hi,

It is really easy to check your breathers. Both breathers (gearbox and transfer box) run together to the top of the engine bay, at the right side of the engine (looking in front of the car). These are black, 4mm core plastic pipe like those used in water-irrigation farms. Locate the end of the pipes and simply blow slowly on them. You will feel how you can introduce a small amount of air in the gearbox/transfer, and when you release the pressure the air will softly escape from the pipe.

If the breathers are blocked, you won't be able to blow on the pipes.

Isn't it silly ????

C.

Hi,

It is really easy to check your breathers. Both breathers (gearbox and transfer box) run together to the top of the engine bay, at the right side of the engine (looking in front of the car). These are black, 4mm core plastic pipe like those used in water-irrigation farms. Locate the end of the pipes and simply blow slowly on them. You will feel how you can introduce a small amount of air in the gearbox/transfer, and when you release the pressure the air will softly escape from the pipe.

If the breathers are blocked, you won't be able to blow on the pipes.

Isn't it silly ????

C.

I thought of that as soon as I posted :lol: I just hope my new fangled quick release 2-into-1 connector will release...then I can get under the vehicle and have a blow... :ph34r: I REALLY hope they are okay, because it is going to be a right PITA if they're not!

Okay people, I have just got out from under the beastie. The breathers to the gearbox and transfer box are okay (gear oil blow back is lovely isn't it...?!), and I've now wiped away as much of the drips as I can. I'm almost 100% sure that the leak at the bell housing end is engine oil (no oil leaking from the sump and unless clutch fluid goes black with age...) so that is probably the crankshaft seal. I'll just keep an eye on the transfer box at this time and see how much come out. If it gets bad, I've had a offer of some "assistance" in that area (thanks Fridge).

For now it's a matter of suck it and see, and deciding whether or not to repair it before I sell it, or disclose the problems and price it with that in mind.

Ryan

my transfer box was like that for 5 years every time I checked the level very little had been lost

the bellhousing, clutch fluid cleans the grease/clutch dust the appears out of the hole

more likely rear main seal(a job for when the clutch goes