200tdi axle on a 90

Hello

as i have just found the damged tie bar and track rods, i have also been told the drivers swivel is also damaged, however i have a spare disco 200tdi axle so

if i fit the disco 200tdi axle into my landy 90 will all the 90 bits ie the track rod bar, tie bar (new 90 one) and steering damper fit??????

many thanks

ives

OilIT

the swivel is leaking grease, i have always planned to put the disco front axle onto the 90

in an earlier post i found that the tie bar and track rod bar where damaged while off roading, i have a new tie bar and track rod bar, what i am worried about is these will now not fit when i remove the 90 axle and fit the disco axle, if you can see what i mean?

ives

Hi Ives,

If you already have the spare axle why not lay the axle in front of the 90 axle and take some measurements and compare?

I know the swivels are different as I ordered new swivels for my 200tdi disco and only fitted one, then when it came to rebuilding my (1985) 90 front axle the part numbers were different and hence couldnt use the disco swivel on the 90.

Gut feeling tells me the axles will swap over but that a few of the internal components will be different (swivels and half shafts etc).

This isnt a problem so long as you have either 1) the axle number to reference against or 2) the year and model of LR that the axle came off originally for future reference.

This is so that you can order the correct parts (oil seals etc) in the future when you need them.

Have some patience as I am sure a grown up will be along soon to answer your question definitively ;)

You may want to mention front 200tdi axle onto a 90 on your heading as most people may skip this post thinking its for putting a rear disked axle onto a 90 (which is done to death on this forum, im one of them :D )

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Grant :)

Grant

Yes, the disco axle fits a 90, although you may need to use the front radius arms from the disco as there are wide and narrow versions, dependent upon the age of your 90. The wider arms did not get used on the 90’s until the introduction of the 300 tdi, but IIRC the wider arms were always used on the disco’s.

:)

Ian

The only problem I can see you having also is the fact that the steering damper sits in different places between the Disco and the 90. On the 90 it sits forward and braces against the chassis and on the disco it's sits low and behind and braces on the axle.

Not sure quite how you would get around that....weld a new mount on i guess.

Hope that helps