k-seal

SIMON64

Depends on what the problem is I guess. <_<

My 3.9 was pressurising the cooling system, I compression checked it to confirm head gaskits were ok and then k-sealed it. This lasted 40k miles before it started pressurising again. So I did another compression test and 2 cylinders were slightly low but k-sealed it again because I had a cronic missfire as well as the geyser out of the expansion bottle. K-seal worked for 5 minutes before it packed up and started missfiring again. :angry:

I removed the heads had them skimmed and crack tested, reassembled with composite gaskits and it still pressurised the cooling system and was misfiring like a person I'm not that keen on. While I was working out what my next move would be it pressurised so much that it popped the plastic plug off the top of the Rad, unfortunately I was on the M40 at the time. I was so used to the low cooling system warning light flashing away at me that I continued for a mile before the temp gauge started rising. I pulled over but the engine was cooked. :o

If you have a pressurised cooling system It has got to be worth giving it a go but don't expect it to be a lifetime fix.

The best thing to do is to fix the cause of the problem, if a head gaskit has blown should be a fairly easy fix, if a liner has slipped, block cracked then you have my sympathy :(

Depends on what the problem is I guess. <_<

My 3.9 was pressurising the cooling system, I compression checked it to confirm head gaskits were ok and then k-sealed it. This lasted 40k miles before it started pressurising again. So I did another compression test and 2 cylinders were slightly low but k-sealed it again because I had a cronic missfire as well as the geyser out of the expansion bottle. K-seal worked for 5 minutes before it packed up and started missfiring again. :angry:

I removed the heads had them skimmed and crack tested, reassembled with composite gaskits and it still pressurised the cooling system and was misfiring like a person I'm not that keen on. While I was working out what my next move would be it pressurised so much that it popped the plastic plug off the top of the Rad, unfortunately I was on the M40 at the time. I was so used to the low cooling system warning light flashing away at me that I continued for a mile before the temp gauge started rising. I pulled over but the engine was cooked. :o

If you have a pressurised cooling system It has got to be worth giving it a go but don't expect it to be a lifetime fix.

The best thing to do is to fix the cause of the problem, if a head gaskit has blown should be a fairly easy fix, if a liner has slipped, block cracked then you have my sympathy :(

I am not sure what problem is i have a water leek somewhere it only loses water when i am driving it took it 2 a garage who had it for 2 weeks

they could not find the leak they put some kinda dye in water ans sent me home 2 return in weeks time plan was they would find the leek through the dye but still can not find it so they said it must be going inturnally so they did a head test and said no heads where fine so put some leek stop in and sent me home again but hay still got bloody leek some one else had look and said water pump was buggered so have just had that done yesterday and some one said try k-seal i had not heard of it so thought i would find out. regards simon

With the engine COLD………………….. remove the expansion cap and smell the coolant …………… does it smell of exhaust gases ?

:)

Ian

NO THERE IS NO SMELL OFF EXHAUST GAS REGARDS SIMON

Hi Simon

My 3.9 was suffering from slow coolant loss and occassional misfires. It was also pressurising the header tank, but not as bad as yours sounds. A quick look at the plugs showed no. 7 to be rather rusty, I cleaned the plug up and misfire gone, for about a week. I assumed a head gasket leak and asked around and eventually came across K-Seal.

I cleaned all the plugs up, tipped a bottle in, followed the instructions and took it for a test drive up the road. The misfire was chronic! Out with the plugs again, No.7 was covered in a layer of very hard deposit. I replaced that plug with a spare one, and lo and behold, no misfire, and 10k miles later everything is still rosy. How long this will last for and what the side affects may be is anyone's guess, but for know I'm happy knowing that I saved myself the hassle of pulling the heads of.

I later decided this deposit on the plug was the K-Seal compound that had leaked into the cylinder for a short time before sealing the gasket leak. The stuff is heat activated and claims to make a glass hard seal.

Based on my experience I would recommend K-Seal. What its limitations are I have no idea. Be good to hear of someone else's experinences too.

Good luck

Michael

i have got a mystery leak on my 3.5, but i am pretty sure it is from the back of the valley gasket, as there is a green trail of antifreeze running down the bellhousing, i will replace it when the weather dries up for long enough, until then a daily check of the water level does me.

i have heard of k-seal before now, there are others out there too, wonder weld, steel seal etc etc, IMHO they are all just temporary cures to the underlying problem.

K-seal is good stuff- I use it more than Rad weld/Bars leak, etc. It won't stop gasket or hose leaks though. A cylinder leak test would tell you if you are getting compression into the cooling system. Ceramic motor seal is supposed to fix head gasket leaks and cracked/porous blocks, but you have to follow the instructions carefully or you end-up with a ceramic brick in the cooling system somewhere. I would get or do a leak test and then see what needs doing.

Les.

My system was pressurising but no jacuzzi in the overflow tank, no mayonaisse in filler cap, no steam/water from exhaust etc.

Topped up with pure antifreeze and this helped me find the leak as when it dried it left a deposit that showed me the water pump was leaking through the shaft and blowing coolant all round the engine bay. Also had a small leak from the hose on the back of the pump that goes to the water jacket on the offside rocker cover.

Pump was blowing out coolant and letting in air - another hint was that it was making a racket!

I got a compression test done also to confirm it wasn't head gaskets or liner slip etc.

Hope you find it,

Hugo.