Permanent live near the curtesy light?

Ryan

I'm looking to move the CB to roof of my Discovery, mounting it where the sunroof controls would be if I had one. Does anyone know, without me taking everything apart first, if there is a permanent live behind the plastic? I'm going along the old car maker's adage of "fitted for, not necessarily with." If there is, it saves me the bother of extending the cable and finding something in the dash to attach it to.

Edited to add: forget that, I think I've just answered my own question...the courtesy light should have a permanent feed for "always on" shouldn't it? If so, will the cable be rated high enough for the current draw on a CB.

No. To avoid interference, on any transmitter you should wire it direct to the battery via a suitable fuse, take it down the A pillar, behind the dash and out through one of the existing wiring grommets in the bulkhead, it is not at all hard to do and you will need to take half the trim off anyway to run the antenna coax.

I don't know how much juice your CB takes but my 55W 2m VHF draws about 12 amps on transmit so you wouldn't piggy back it onto anything, but the main reason for doing it is to avoid interference very closely followed by the fact you may well let the smoke out of the wires if you start sucking too much through them.

It's Lucas, don't trust it. :ph34r:

If you need wire, or coax, or a hand, just shout. I've been known to have the odd length of wire about the place :lol:

I might take you up on that. Are you about tomorrow, or are you assisting the Jezmeister?

P.S. I'm okay for coax, that's already bodged into place, just needing a bit of coaxing to get it onto my spare tyre mounted mount. Juice-type wire is what I'll be after, and a hand, and maybe a grommit or two...

P.P.S Sorry, thanks to Bogmonster et al for replying.