Quick EFI question...

I've been looking at this: eBay listing

I need a fuel pump to firstly run a flapper system, and then to run MSnS with a throttle body fitted with 4 cosworth injectors.

I've been working on the assumption that I can use the same fuel pump for both and that I can use anything with numbers that look "about right". Am I correct?

As long as that can flow enough fuel at the right pressure then yes, anything with the right numbers will work and be interchangeable. It runs up to 5.5 bar which is way above the normal pressure the regulator would provide - again, that's normal.

Although frankly if you're going that route the Scooby in-tank ones that they all rip out for uprated items are a better bet - ISTR Andy bought two for a tenner and they supply a 200bhp+ lump as standard. eBlag is littered with them for pennies.

For the money they want for that random merc one you could almost buy a Walbro 255 which is guaranteed to be up to the job and known to work.

At 180 litres per hour and 5.5 bar it should be able to cope with 300bhp.

I would have thought a merc pump would have been bosch - the packaging doesn't look like bosch so it is probably a pattern part. I would avoid this one and spend £30 more on one of the known brands from the ebay shops.

link

edited to add this link

The problem I have is that I am using standard series tank, so I need an inline one - can the scoobie ones be adapted for this?

You may need to use a separate lift pump then, EFI pumps do NOT like having to draw fuel as a rule. There are a couple of external mount ones that do, but most don't. An in-tank pump is designed to be just that - submerged in fuel.

Jim burnt out three EFI pumps in a row mounted above the tank on his hybrid, Andy burnt out both his scooby ones mounted externally above the tank, and the guy I bought my first EFi setup from "never got it to run right" - he was using an external cavalier pump mounted above the tank...

My setup uses a Facet carb-type pump as a lifter feeding into a Jag external EFi pump and works well, in future I may upgrade to an in-tank one to claim the space under my seat back and cut down on the plumbing.

Back to plan A then - Modify the series tank to fit a rangie fuel pump (got one of them already). Was hoping for a "bolt on" solution, but I guess having an in-tank pump is a better solution at the end of the day.

Anyone know the size of hole I need to cut? I'm going to machine mart 1st thing tomorrow - would be helpful if I knew the right size hole saw...

I went through all this just as you did - and ended up as you are using a RR EFI Pump :lol:

The efi pump can be "Split" into 2 parts, the pump base unit and the steel tube and top mounting plate - which can then be cut and welded to make the right length so as it goes to the base of the tank. I found that the base of a RR Pump and the top part of a Low pressure 90 carb V8 pump (the top piece is much longer than the rr one) meant I could cut and put back together as a unit without even getting the welder out :)

Nige