dash lights

Hi all should the dash lights be able to be switched on when the ignition is off as i have not noticed this before . I have just reconnected all the wiring at the rear after fitting a new xmember and think i have wired something wrong also i have a single purple wire that was just dangling in the wheel arch any ideas what it is for ?

all help greatly appreciated.

Iain

Single purple usually is the positive feed after ignition.

And the dash lights should only be on at the same time the rest of the lights are on. There are Defenders which have a switch to turn off the dash lights should you not want them on whilst driving.

Thanks for the reply guys . I do have the switch for the dash / interior light it just that i can switch the dash lights on when the side lights and ignition is off never noticed it before and as i had the loom out for the welding i thought i may have connected it back the wrong way as i lost the pics i took of the wiring and i use my other 110 for reference but it has different colors of wires . Everything works as it should ( Brakes , Indicators etc ) so i will just have to check that i dint leave them one and flatten the battery.

Cheers Iain

Key in ignition or not, dash lights and side lamps can be turned on. Key must be in pos II before the main headlamps can be turned on. This seems to apply to later defenders like the Td5.

It is like the above on the 07 model, the side lights and dash lights can be turned on, via the side light switch.