Winch fitting fun

Fitted my winch today. what a load of 'fun' that was.

Struggled lifting the bumper and winch in place three or four times as I tried to see if it would fit with my steering guard (it doesn't due to two extensions that sit down the side of the chassis) and then realised after my eye watering hernia ripping sound, that I could have unbolted the winch and just mounted the bumper. :blink:

Ok I thought, lets try it out. I had a battery I was charging so I tried that. It made the solenoid click but the winch motor didn't turn so I used my jump leads connected from the landy battery to the winch cables and tried that.

There I was standing excitedly at the front like a small child pushing the buttons on the control, expecting a winch type sound and movement of the cable, when I noticed smoke billowing out of the cab. Hobbled round as fast as I could after my winch & bumper lifting 'strains' and there I had an impromptu bbq in the cab with flames coming from the positive lead of the jump cable and a lot of smoke complete with the smell of the Missus’s ‘cooking’.

I didn't panic, just ran round with my arms flailing, screaming for an adult, then yanked the negative cable and managed to put the flames out on the positive one which was glowing orange and melting everywhere.

Yeah I know, stupid thing to do using thin car jump leads with a winch that draws that much. I know that now. Luckily, apart from the smell and a set of crispy jump leads, everything is ok, apart from my pride, but the fewer people know about this episode the better.

So, here is a picture of it fitted:

post-4939-1209338704_thumb.jpg

Looking at how close the solenoid box is to whatever I am going to get stuck in and the fact that the box is broken and held together by tape, I thought it might be an idea to move it up a bit and protect it from the elements.

My question to you winch experts is… where do you have yours and also, where do you fit the cut of switch? Also does anyone have pictures?

I thought that if I mounted the solenoid under the wing and had the control box socket coming out through the side of the wing, then I could fit the cut off in the same place. This will keep it all safe and dry.

Also, which type of cut off would you recommend? VWP have a few on their site and I thought this one might do:

http://wwww.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/...tos2/060513.jpg

Removable key. 10mm studs.

100A @ 24V, 500A for 5 secs.

Or will it need something a bit beefier?

Final question. The winch has a ring round it and a stub where there used to be a lever (you can see the hole for it to the right of the fairlead) and a sticker that says In and Out. I assume this is the clutch and that when it is Out I should be able to free spool the cable, out as it doesn't work in either position just now. Also the motor winds in and out when it is in either position. Have been told it is a Ramsey winch, so if anyone knows what model and where to get spares that would be great.

And before you ask, the whole thing was cheap as chips so I can put up with its general condition.

thanks again.

mad

Best thing to do is source an Albright, or Albright like solenoid and winch isolator switch. Devon 4x4, FirstFour and Llama4x4 all supply these at good prices.

You'll also need cables and crimp connectors with 10mm hole for battery and 8mm or 10mm (some motors vary) for motor posts.

There is wiring posts in tech archive and Tony's (white90) shows solenoid fitted to inner wing and socket fitted to light surround. With the relaibility and waterproof nature of Albright this is pretty much a fit and forget solution.

I'd renew all cabling. You'll need enough for -ve to motor, +ve to solenoid under wing and then 3 lengths for solenoid to poles on motor. 35mm or 50mm is ok.

Then once you have a working winch you can spool off that wire and throw it in the bin. You can source new ones fairly cheap off ebay or even better buy some plasma. With plasma you'll also need a new fairlead too, either ally of stainless steel.

Cheers

Steve

ditch the soleniods plastic cover & fit them to the left inner wing above & behind the left headlight, [photo of mine below, it's just grubby not corroded] the remote socket can be fitted to the front wing above the headlight like my 2 in the photo below. [the 2 little flaps near the bonnet front edge] you & the winch will be much better off with a Albright solenoid [fully sealed against water ingress] there's a wiring connection diagram for Albright soleniods in the tech archive.

post-20-1209403585_thumb.jpg

post-20-1209404023_thumb.jpg

as Steve says above, covers most of it, i would also check that you have suitable bow shackles that have a pin that will fit the eyes on the bumper.

Goodwinch do wire ropes - £20/£25 for new ones plus Albrights as well also do the come-up albright copies which seem just as good.

Thanks for replies guys.

The solenoid is an Albright SW88B, looks a bit mucky but from what I have read should clean up well and you can also get spare parts for it. Is it worth me overhauling this and keeping it rather than spanking £50-£60 on a new one?

I will set it up and install it the same as you have Ralph. Two remote connectors, one on either side. I take it these are wired in parallel and also where would I buy one from as I can't seem to find any through Google.

Also, I would like some advice on the size of cable to and from the solenoid.

It currently has 14mm (I think) going from the battery to the solenoid and then 11mm from there to the winch terminals. Should I buy the same size or make it all 14mm? Or would anyone recommend thicker throughout?

I like the idea of ditching the wire and getting plasma as it is safer, looks easier to work with and comes in lovely colours :rolleyes: . But there are two guides on the bumper behind the fairlead (which is welded on) and I think these would have to come off, otherwise I imagine it would get trashed?

thanks,

mad

post-4939-1209475656_thumb.jpg

post-20-1209491699_thumb.jpg

you want 35mm² or 50mm², cable is spec'd on it's cross sectional area (CSA) in mm² (squared).

Either will do the job, there's little point dropping the wire size nearer the winch - it's still got to carry the same current. bigger wires will mean less of a voltage drop.

The current goes between the solenoid and the winch twice, so performance benefits from having the solenoids nearer the winch, rather than nearer the battery, so does your wallet, as you'll use less cable!

you want 35mm² or 50mm², cable is spec'd on it's cross sectional area (CSA) in mm² (squared).

Either will do the job, there's little point dropping the wire size nearer the winch - it's still got to carry the same current. bigger wires will mean less of a voltage drop.

The current goes between the solenoid and the winch twice, so performance benefits from having the solenoids nearer the winch, rather than nearer the battery, so does your wallet, as you'll use less cable!

I can only see one set of cables between the solenoids and winch. Will double check tonight.

And for some reason links to images on my new host don't work so here is another one of the solenoids:

x2ov1d.jpg

thanks.

I just piggybacked the remote sockets off the 3 spade terminals on the Albright solly. as my Husky is a Superwinch make I used their plugs/sockets for the remote ones.

plug/socket set

http://www.winchrepairs.co.uk/mambo/index....op&Itemid=1

or socket only

http://www.winchrepairs.co.uk/mambo/index....op&Itemid=1

Hello hedley.

Im glad you are happy with your new winch,glad it went to a good home.

Andrew. (the chap you bought the winch from)

post-6311-1209747761_thumb.jpg