2.8 isuzu

stevesmuddy90

Wouldn't mind one either as well as im currently fitting this engine,

Steve

How are you getting on with this, im currently still plumbing and wiring it all in but im pretty much all there now i think.

This is mine nearly in,

IMGP1001.jpg

James

hi james,

not to bad,took out for first test drive at the weekend,not to impressed with the praformance,but when i had a good look descovered that the wastegate was stuck fast,and badly over fueling,hence need the manual to sort things out,spoke to a couple other people who have done the same conv and say youl be over the moon,i will wate and see :-)

keep me up to speed how you get on J.

cheers

steve...post-5572-1209390044_thumb.jpg

these might help :unsure:

bayturboside.JPG

Bayinductionside.JPG

TD5 fits as well - but fiddly round the headlights with a series front end and doesnt really exploit the airflow too well :(

engineside.JPG

old school cheapo solution that works well in Rangie conversions is my personal fave - the SAAB 9000 intercooler :)

F791.JPG

if you can FAtboy, im fitting a 300tdi radiator with a build in intercooler, is saving some space.

I also have some mounts if you want them, brand new,

James

Cheers for that, I've got a couple of Radiators... I'd thought of 300TDi but they are not very large which is why I was contemplating an ex-TD5 full width jobbie but the steering relay is going to make that tricky and Jez points out it is not very efficient... I can't really do much until i've dropped the engine in and had a mess about. As I see it:

The intercooler has to go in front of the radiator so that it see's the coolest external air possible. I did contemplate putting a couple of switchable jap bike little fans in strategic areas to help force cool it a tad.. (The fans on my ZZR used to be able to shift some volume of air when it got hot..).

The engine doesn't generate heat in the league of the V8 so maybe I'll use a different radiator or put it somewhere else..

mr jez speaketh the truth

my recommendation regarding intercooling would be to hit the scrappies and take the whole intercooler/rad/fan assembly and all pipework from something like a volvo 940 turbo, saab 9000 turbo, citroen xm or the like. in most of these cases you'll get a good sized intercooler and rad rather than the 1/2 sized land rover seem to supply for some reason.

a long long time ago i started a thread regarding installing an intercooler from a saab 9-3 in my 110. i have about the biggest surface area which is possible to fit, but it meant the in/outlets had to go through the wings and it requires some rather creative pipework. that and the cost of silicon bends has meant that the intercooler has been in place for about 2 years, but not been hooked up (i also had to finish uni). i think i now have all the bits required to plumb it in, shich includes some disco pipework, some volvo turbo pipework and i actually bit the bulletand bought some silicone bends. the 4 bends cost me £60, and having paid £100 for a whole trooper from which to remove the engine i wasn't keen to spend more on wee bits of hose.

that being the case i would recommend something that fires its outlets backwards (like the 9000 cooler on jez's pic of the rangie) and taking the rad that fits behind it as it will make your life much easier and make the cost of plumbing less.

i shall go take some photos and resurrect my thread i think. seems to be a few folk dealing with this at the moment and it might be good to share some thoughts on the matter. once i get my egt/boost gauge wired up and move a few things in the engine bay, i should be good to go, finally.

there is the thread i started

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7909&hl=

although i didn't really get too far.