Rear disc brake project (attn diesel Jim)

Hi,

Based on the excellent article posted by diesel Jim I'm now in the process of fitting disc brakes to the rear.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...disc+conversion

I did not plan to start the conversion today but a pre holiday check revealed some very bad sludge inside the LH rear drum... (see image)

As all disc conversion parts were sitting on the shelf anyway I decided to go ahead and fit the disc brakes....

The set-up is 110 front hubs, 110 drum brake stub axles, 110 300 tdi rear calipers and discs and the bolt on bracket. I've made up a 6mm spacer to fit inbetween the bracket and the axle (see image) but the caliper ended up a bit out of the middle of the disc, no real problem as that has easily been solved with fitting two M12 washers between caliper and bracket.

All went fine but the fitting back the outer bearing + plate/washer is causing me a problem. For some reason I can not fit the original thick washer together with two locking nuts and the locking plate, there is just not enough thread on the stubaxle for all of them (see images). So right now I've taken out the outer oil seal and washer and replaced that washer with a 2nd locking plate (tab washer) as only that did have the corect size to go over the unthreaded part of the stub axle. The spacer as shown on Jim picture http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/monthly_02...55771_thumb.jpg did not fit. (as far as I know that's the one of the front hub).

I've not checked it yet but expect the space between the two front wheel bearings (indside the hub) to be larger than on the back?

Any ideas which space to use? It seems that is fine at the moment but I'm not sure if the soft metal washer will last?

Cheers

Marco

post-2702-1209400401_thumb.jpg

post-2702-1209400411_thumb.jpg

post-2702-1209400435_thumb.jpg

post-2702-1209401302_thumb.jpg

Guest diesel_jim

That thick spacer/washer thing doesn't fit.... i left it out when re-assembling everything (i'm sure i put it in the write up)

I just used one of the thick "washers with a tag on" (off of the front hub IIRC), the ones that are about 3~4mm thick.

With the lock nut nipped up, the spacer/washer thing doesn't seem to be able to move muchm and even if it does, it can only go a few degrees either way before the "tag" comes into contact with the flat on the stub axle.

just found it:

HPIM2806.JPG

i was going to fill the gaps either side of the tag with weld and then grind it flat again, but never got around to it.

Thanks, yep found that picture. For some reason the front hub spacer will not fit on my rear stub axle. I suppose I can make it fit by grinding a bit off the inside of the washer... Will also check some old series hubs in the shed, maybe I do find something which will slide on.

Cheers

Marco

I've now slightly increased the diameter of the washers so they do fit over the non threaded part of the stub axle. They can no turn around. Guess this will solve that problem. Have been running the vehicle already and brakes do work fine, little leak at one of the connectors, hopefully that can be solved with adjustment only.

Cheers

Marco

Ralph, I know, this one is not meant to lock anything, it's the spacer between the nut and the outer bearing (as in Jim's posting). FTC3179 is fitted in between the two nuts.

OK, as it's acting as a spacer, it shouldn't cause any problems, the rear disc hubs use a D hole spacer [FTC3185 or the later FTC5241] in the same place, which I'm assuming is a bit thicker than the one your using. hence it's giving the problem you have, must get the disc's & convert my rear axle too.

a bit off topic but

how do you rate the drilled an groved disc's?? brake overhaul on mine will be comin up soon (should really slow down more or use them less :-) ) and been thinking about getting some but wasnt sure due to the fact mud etc can get in just wounded if it came out just as easy too and what there like under dirty conditions

thanks

dave

a bit off topic but

how do you rate the drilled an groved disc's?? brake overhaul on mine will be comin up soon (should really slow down more or use them less :-) ) and been thinking about getting some but wasnt sure due to the fact mud etc can get in just wounded if it came out just as easy too and what there like under dirty conditions

thanks

dave

Utter waste of time. All the holes fill up with mud and crud, and it just means you eat brake pads even more quickly. Hybrid from hell fitted them to his 90 and has since said he regrets it. They're probably fine on a road only motor, but not for one that gets dunked in the mud.

Jon

go for vented but not drilled front disk & solid rears, 90/110 brakes in top condition are excellent.

Will replace these (some time in future) with solid :-)

The drilled ones were sitting on the shelf for about a year already....

Just made up a new RH rear brake pipe due to minor leak. Now all fine. Brakes do feel rock hard and much better than old drum set-up.

Off to France tomorrow :-)

Cheers

Marco

• 3 weeks later...

Back in Holland after a trip to the South of France and Cinque Terre Italy, new disc brakes on the back turned out te be a very good investment / improvement! Especially on the steep and narrow roads at the Italian coast! Can recommend this upgrade to all drum brake Salisbury owners...

Cheers

Marco