Disco 200tdi fan shroud

Hello, I'm a new member from the States. I tried searching for this topic but didn't find a thing. For those with Disco 200tdi's, what are you using to cover the gap between the viscous fan and the radiator. I have the old Disco shroud which doesn't even come close. My engine temp gauge is running a tick or two over middle, with the correct temp sender. It's starting to heat up over here, and I swear my viscous fan can't pull anything off the rad with all that uncovered space. The Defender 200tdi shroud won't fit b/c the fan is off center on the Disco engine. Have you used an electric fan mounted to the radiator? Or fixed up some extra plastic to create more draw for the fan? Thanks for any ideas.

James - 1983 110 with Disco 200tdi

are you using the Discovery temp sender with the original temp gauge.

it's known that these 2 items don't work very well, either change the temp sender to the PRC8593 defender 200Tdi version or use a VDO gauge & matching sender or try this adaption

Water temp sender for VDO gauge

Welcome to LR4x4.com.

if you haven't read it please read the pinned thread at the top of the thread lists.it'll help you use the forum.

The gauge/sender don't quite match up and will show a higher temp than actual -

I've got the same set up and did a couple of long trips last year, one around Europe and over the Alps, the other across the Sahara.

I didn't actually find cooling that much of a problem, though when pushed really hard on very long straight uphill slogs up the Alps in the summer (fully loaded with gear) and very sluggish runs through big soft sand dunes for several hours (again, loaded up till the springs were bottomed out) , I did have to stop a few times to let the temp drop back down, and I got it steaming once. On the whole though, no probs at all.

I've fitted an electric fan, with temp controler (from X-engineering), and left the viscous in place - hopefully that will keep me a bit cooler on some of the slow uphill slogs.

Day to day driving though, no problem at all - in fact after fitting the fan the other day, I couldn't get the water hot enough to trigger the fan no matter how hard I tried.

Thanks for the help. I've got the PRC8593 sender, that I found out by the previous owner's notes. So someone had been trying to deal with this issue. The electric fan should do the trick. Its funny that I'm running into all the small differences between the Disco and Def 200tdi after the swap (this site solved a few other strange questions for me). We never got these Rover diesels over here.

James

I've fitted an electric fan, with temp controler (from X-engineering), and left the viscous in place - hopefully that will keep me a bit cooler on some of the slow uphill slogs.

Day to day driving though, no problem at all - in fact after fitting the fan the other day, I couldn't get the water hot enough to trigger the fan no matter how hard I tried.

might be worth investing in a viscous fan spanner, and whipping the viscous fan off for long motorway slogs, especially when its not really warm, the viscous does rob a bit of power from the engine, and you really don't need it when you are cruising...