200TDI to automatic conversion

Velar

I'd like to convert my Defender 200TDI (lager intercooler and modified fuelpump) to an automatic gearbox.

Which parts are needed? Does anyone have the parts for sale?

I believe the normal 4hp22 Rangie gearbox was used?

Bart

Guest diesel_jim

You'll need a (very rare) 200Tdi to ZF auto back plate, although you may be able to make a 300 plate fit.

also a flex plate,

then an autobox, either from a 200 or 300Tdi disco. the V8 boxes have different bellhousings and gear shift patterns.

better still, to buy a complete wreck of a rotten auto disco for ~£500, remove the necessary bits and flog/scrap the rest off.

You'll need a (very rare) 200Tdi to ZF auto back plate, although you may be able to make a 300 plate fit.

I know of someone who's done this but its not easy. If you did want to go down this route I've got a 300 tdi back plate I could sell you (these are just rare rather than hens teeth rare ;) ).

However, I'd seriously recommend getting a complete 200/300 tdi engine and autobox form a Disco / RR as it will make your life cheaper and easier. As an aside, doing an auto conversion is much easier on a 300 tdi Defender as the R380 and ZF4HP22 are the same length and use the same mounts. The same cannot be said for a 200 tdi defender meaning you will almost certainly have to move the engine forwards.

I've done this to my 110 ex TD. Fitted a 200 tdi Defender lump that sits where the old engine did, an M&D conversion plate and a modified V8 auto box. The trans' sits 4" further back, this has meant modded props, trans tunnel, chassis X member and g/box mounts.

As others have said, by far the easiest way to go is buy a complete 300tdi auto Disco. Then everything sits where it should.

Buying all the bits individual is expensive and time consuming.