Defender on a diet

Sure I remember seeing a thread on this subject, but can't find it anywhere.

Looking for a ways to remove weight from a Defender to improve performance.

So far I've come up with:

1. converting to a ragtop

2. Removing doors

3. Stripping sound proofing/ matts etc.

4. Replacing bonnet with fibreglass

5. Replacing outer/inner wings with fibreglass

6. Trimming brackets from chassi

7. Remove windscreen & surround

Can the heater go without affecting cooling too much?

What else can be stripped away or swapped for something lighter?

What can be realistically achieved?

1: Is that actually lighter? Sticks & canvas add up, compared to a thin player of aluminium I'd want to see both on the scales before committing.

2: Or convert to Series doors with less of that trim nonsense

3: See 1.

4: See 1. Inner wings can be made lighter as they're galv steel, outer wings you may struggle to save anything.

6: Yes

7: Erm, won't that compromise certain aspects of the driving experience?

The heater doesn't affect cooling, it affects heating :ph34r:

I don't run a heater.

Some good points from Fridge there, really worth doing the research before re-making something that you need in a 'lighter' material, because you will often end up having to put the weight back in to give enough strength!

I've got a number of fibreglass panels on my racer; the doors are well worth it, but the 3/4 panel I think is no lighter than the ally one it replaced (it was on the car when I bought it!)

No harm in getting rid of stuff you don't need, though. I don't run a heater, but do have a heated screen and have cut many extraneous brackets from the chassis.

Tesco have a good motto for weight saving: Every little helps!

My Discovery was 1850 (ready to race) at last weigh-in, but I'm hoping to have lost a bit more weight over the winter so that I can keep ahead of those pesky Defenders! ;)

There was a red V8 90 in LRM this last year which had those boy racer drilled aluminium pedals "to save weight". I had a good laugh at that especially as they bolted to the standard pedals, therefore adding weight.

If you want to save weight you should buy a Reliant Robin instead :D

I replaced my hardtop on the series with a ragtop and that saved a whole lot of weight- the glass in the alu roof really adds up!

Imagine lifting the roof assembly yourself, and then imagine lifting a ragtop- what essentially is a small tent.

My 90 has a ragtop and would bet that if weighed against a similar specced hardtop it would come out lighter... :ph34r:

Are you thinking of doing this for racing- or just as a daily driver?

If it is for a daily driver then you will not be making a massive saving as opposed to the level of comfort you will be reducing.

If it is for racing then stripping every piece of non essential brackets and trim will definitely help- as has been said every little helps!

Series door bottoms can be fitted without tops to save weight over the one piece items and light weight front bumpers and rear cross members are also available, as are lighter seats etc etc... come to think of it do you need a passenger seat!!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Not primarily a racer - (although that's an aim for next year). The vehicle gets used for motorcycle support in the Sahara see: www.b-o-b.co.uk . Weight is important as each kg saved is an extra litre capacity for fuel or water.

Plus we need to go fast to keep up with the bikes!

I know there's a reward Vs. time and expense ratio to work out here. An aim is to shed 200kg of weight and gain a flatbed/trayback and a proper cage.

Just go over every inch of it and ask yourself if that bit needs to be there.

I don't know the exact numbers but I think a Series is around 200kg lighter than a Defender of similar spec, so look at all the extra tat they stuck in the defender and see if it can be removed - trim, carpets, windy windows, silly coily spring things... :ph34r:

Just go over every inch of it and ask yourself if that bit needs to be there.

I don't know the exact numbers but I think a Series is around 200kg lighter than a Defender of similar spec, so look at all the extra tat they stuck in the defender and see if it can be removed - trim, carpets, windy windows, silly coily spring things... :ph34r:

:unsure: It takes the act of God to totally STARVE a Landrover... Coil removal? :P Be ready to be bumpwhacked for the rest of the tour...REmember to take off the Winch and Winchguard... :huh: Maybe Chasis to aluminium??? ;)