acceleration problem

kevinr

Whenever I accelerate , be it from standing or just increasing speed, I get this shuddering effect. it feels like the drag you get when you change down a gear and release the clutch, but it is less pronounced and is quite regular.

I'm not sure if it is a spark plug misfiring or anyting like that, as when I'm not accelerating it runs ok, also whenever I'm slowing down it is fine, it's just on the acceleration.

Any sugestions on what I can check/do?

It's a 3.9 V8 '97' disco 1

Fuel or Ignition, Fuel when was the filter last replaced and ignition when was the plugs and plug leads last replaced. I have just replaced them on my V8 and it does make a differance I did not bother with the dizzi cap that was ok.

Whenever I accelerate , be it from standing or just increasing speed, I get this shuddering effect. it feels like the drag you get when you change down a gear and release the clutch, but it is less pronounced and is quite regular.

I'm not sure if it is a spark plug misfiring or anyting like that, as when I'm not accelerating it runs ok, also whenever I'm slowing down it is fine, it's just on the acceleration.

Any sugestions on what I can check/do?

It's a 3.9 V8 '97' disco 1

Do you have any oil leaking from bell housing? As it does not take much oil on to create clutch judder. I seem to remember from my days on the spanners

working on local authority Landrovers (a long time ago....1974) clutch judder nearly always turned out to be oil.

Sounds like ignition timing producing a misfire. I had a similar thing on my 1996 V8 D1 when somebody set the timing to X degrees after top dead centre instead of X degrees before, took me ruddy months to find the problem :rtfm:

Thanks guys, will follow these suggestions today..except replacing ht leads...short on cash at the mo.

But the fuel filter was replaced the other day, I service it the other day..oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. None are leaking as I check them constantly at the moment.

I do have an oil leak underneath, I think it's from the transfer gearbox, it's from the unit that the handbreak drum fixes to, I do intend to drain and replace that today, as it had crossed my mind that I've lost too much oil from there. After my wedding this month, I'll have the spare cash to get it into a landrover garage to repair the leak.

I have recently checked the propshaft after a recent enquiry, the joints are solid, and the shaft on the front has a small amount of play, I assume this is normal as when the handbreak is off, the rear does the same.

I'll post back later once I have checked the plugs and replaced the oil.

• 3 weeks later...