Smoke in the truck

Hello All,

Yesterday I was driving my truck. After 5 minutes I smelt burning. It smelt like something rubber or oil. I pulled over and stopped.

The smell got stronger and the cab started to fill with smoke on the driver's side. I think it was coming from underneath. The handbrake drum was extremely hot!

I don't remember if I had the handbrake on while drivig :(

Could driving slowly for 5 minutes with the handbrake on produce that smoke and a burning smell?? Is it possible that the transmisson could be broken?

Driving very far at all with the handbrake on will produce a burning smell!

I would pull the handbrake drum off for a look but apart from the shoes, the most likely bit that you might damage would be the oil seal in the back of the transfer box, if that isn't leaking then I doubt anything else will be bothered.

Thanks for the reply.

There's quite a bit of oil around the transfer box so I'm assuming the worst.

Go and raid the piggy bank and get a X-brake disk conversion. It holds the vehicle so hard you cannot overcome the brake even in first gear :lol:

Driving very far at all with the handbrake on will produce a burning smell!

I would pull the handbrake drum off for a look but apart from the shoes, the most likely bit that you might damage would be the oil seal in the back of the transfer box, if that isn't leaking then I doubt anything else will be bothered.

My 90 just got driven with the handbrake on and there seems to be a lot of oil around the transfer box. How and what would I need to replace the seal? Is this an immediate problem?

My 90 just got driven with the handbrake on and there seems to be a lot of oil around the transfer box. How and what would I need to replace the seal? Is this an immediate problem?

Not necessarily - it may have been there before! Oil in the handbrake is a common fault leading to less than perfect handbrake performance.

To be honest it is always a job I have delegated so not 100% sure what you need to do but basically I think just take the handbrake drum off and maybe some of the mechanism, dig out oil seal on the output shaft, press in new one, refit handbrake possibly with new shoes or linings depending on how much oil is on them.

Probably the rectangular plate on the bottom of the transfer box, they leak quite often but just needs the oil draining, the plate removing and re-sealing, I think early ones have a gasket and later ones silicon sealant but I might be wrong on that.

Yesterday I was driving my truck. After 5 minutes I smelt burning. It smelt like something rubber or oil. I pulled over and stopped.

I think I may have found the problem. :)

In actual fact, Digger was driving my truck while I was away on holidays.

The day before I left, I changed the 2 UJs on the rear prop shaft and filled then with lots of grease :)

Just had a look and there are 2 nice greasy scorch marks on the exhaust, about one prop shaft length apart :lol: