BEST GEARBOX OIL?

bigjohn

As title,what is the best manual gearbox oil for a 300tdi 1995? does anyone use the mtf94 or is that not suitable? cheers,john.

I spent weeks looking into this ... My conclusion was castrol transmax z in my 200tdi.

The gearbox was noticably smoother as well ... best to look into it yourself though cos everyone seems to have different opinions on the subject.

Have a look at Redline, I use it and am very happy.

It's a very tough low shear oil that lasts several times longer than the Land Rover recommended options.

Very smooth from cold, no notchy gear changes on my 98 300tdi.

I use Redline in the transfer box and diffs as well.

John

i know this is off the subject a bit but i drive a jcb 3cx now has 2800 hrs from new and a lot of road work, the torque converter/ gearbox are on the same oil this has never been changed nor has the filter ill try to find the specs for this oil to see if it matches lr specs. or has anyone got any ideas chris

Have a look at Redline, I use it and am very happy.

It's a very tough low shear oil that lasts several times longer than the Land Rover recommended options.

Very smooth from cold, no notchy gear changes on my 98 300tdi.

I use Redline in the transfer box and diffs as well.

John

what grade redline oil do you use?

• 1 month later...

Quick update, i changed to mtf94 oil, the change is now less notchy than before, dont know if it was just because the oil was old, or the mtf does a better job. i think its a higher spec than the normal stuff, well it's a higher price !!

cheers,

john.