Red battery light when I steer

Francis

Hi everyone.

I have just replaced my alternator, and still there are drops in power as I turn the steering wheel when not moving, like a belt is slipping or the power steering is not functioning properly.

Each time the power steering becomes weak as I turn the steering wheel, the red battery light comes on.

Can anyone give me any ideas? Is it as simple as the power steering pump?

Thanks in advance!

I see what you mean. The pas is drive on the same disc as the alternator, and the belt is pretty worn/loose. What kind of effort is required to switch belts? What do I have to remove. is there an 'easy' way!

I have just done the alternator and obviously to have steering that doesn't squeal or fight me would be great!

The PAS pump pivots on it's own mounting plate. Look slightly to the left of the pulley wheel and you will see what I mean.

med_gallery_2_301_1267395.jpg

Slacken the three 13mm bolts (they may also be 10mm). To change the belt you need to lever the pump towards the left, and opposite to tension it. Use a pry bar or big screwdriver to lever the pump/tension the belt, and while maintaining the pressure - tighten the bolts.

Les.