110 Steel Wheel Questions

I am trying to find some information on the specs on 110 steel wheels.

The stock 110 (pre Defender) stock steel wheels were 5.5"x16. What is the Back Spacing or Offset?

Wolf Wheels are 6.5"x16" with 2.75" Backspacing or Offset.

Modulars are commonly done in 7" or 8" x 16" with 4.5" Back Spacing or Offset. I know there are differen't BS available

but with an 7" or 8" wide is 4.5" is a common size that won't put the tire past the wheel arch, correct?

Allen

XD/Wolf wheels are stamped 6.5Jx16x20.6 IIRC the 20.6mm is the centre plate inset [further in than the standard 5.5x16 steel wheel.

modulars will fit a 90/110 without any problem, a mate had them on his old 110 & they didn't sit out of the flexi flare. my 110 with XD/Wolf steels fitted on the right, my mates on the left [with modular wheels fitted]

it's the only pic. I have to show the comparison.

welcome to LR4x4.com, Please read the pinned info at the top of the forum thread list, it will help you use this forum website.

post-20-1210442871_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic Ralph.

The reason I asked about BS is I will be putting an OME 2" lifted springs on a 110 and will be using Wolf Wheels with 255/85 R16 tires and would like as wide of stance and best turning radius as possible with out sticking past the Arches.

So I am interested in using 30mm wheel spacers.I have heard good and bad about spacers. I would guess there might be a difference in the quality of material could make a difference.

Will Wolf wheels with 255/85 16 tires and 1.25" spacers and a 2" lift fit without rubbing any thing?

Allen

My tyres are 255/85 BFG MT's on XD/wolf wheels, No spacers on mine & no problem with turn circle, I'm running OME spring which make my 110 sit higher than normal, possibly about 1.5 to 2 inches, no probs there either.

Thanks Ralph,

Your set up is basically what I will be running.

Do you think there would be any problems adding 30mm spacers using your set up?

I'm not dead set on using spacers. I thought they might be needed to keep max turning radius.

But glad to know that won't be a problem. Did you have to adjust your stops?

If you were to add 30mm spacers with your set up would the tire extend past the arch and would it still tuck

up with out hitting any thing?

It's a big help that you are using this set up and have real world experience with this combination.

I guess the biggest thing is it would be nice to get a little wider track if possible since I will be carrying some loads on the roof. As long as the spacers didn't push the tires out past the arches or something needed trimming for clearance.

Allen

Thanks Ralph,

Your set up is basically what I will be running.

Do you think there would be any problems adding 30mm spacers using your set up?

I'm not dead set on using spacers. I thought they might be needed to keep max turning radius.

But glad to know that won't be a problem. Did you have to adjust your stops?

If you were to add 30mm spacers with your set up would the tire extend past the arch and would it still tuck

up with out hitting any thing?

It's a big help that you are using this set up and have real world experience with this combination.

I guess the biggest thing is it would be nice to get a little wider track if possible since I will be carrying some loads on the roof. As long as the spacers didn't push the tires out past the arches or something needed trimming for clearance.

Allen

I think 30mm spacers fitted to mine would put the outer tyre shoulder right on the edge or just outside the flexi flare, [i'll have a measure later] personally I don't like spacers to much distance between the wheel centreline & hub bearings centreline.

IIRC the stops were wound out to stop he tyre rubbing at full lock.

Just done a mearsure on my tyres sidewall. from the centre of the sidewall [closest to arch edge] a 30mm increase would put it just outside the arch edge which would put the tread block shoulders right on the edge of the arch, so I reckon with 30mm spacers you'd just still have the tyre tread fully covered to stay within the law.

best move would be to remove a wheel & temp fit some washers [30mm] thick on 3 studs & refit the wheel, lower the vehicle off the jack & see what you think, BUT Please don't drive it in this condition.