Swivel housing pre-load

freeagent

Fitted new swivel housings to my disco a month or so back, as the old ones were coroded, and there was a bit of steering shimmy due to the swivel bearings being worn.

I built up the new swivels and set up the pre-load fairly close to what the book said... but after a week or so a small about of shimmy between 60-70mph started to creep back (bearings bedding in?)

I fitted some new, larger wheels and tyres at the weekend, and now the shimmy is a bit more noticable, (heavier wheel)

I don't realy want to strip it all down and drop the oil seal out of the back of the swivel housing in order to check/ adjust the pre-load, is there a way I can do it by just dropping the track rod/ drag link off it and checking the resistance with the seal in place?

what reading should i be looking for on the spring balance?

Any tips would be most welcome... as this is driving me mad.

Fitted new swivel housings to my disco a month or so back, as the old ones were coroded, and there was a bit of steering shimmy due to the swivel bearings being worn.

I built up the new swivels and set up the pre-load fairly close to what the book said... but after a week or so a small about of shimmy between 60-70mph started to creep back (bearings bedding in?)

I fitted some new, larger wheels and tyres at the weekend, and now the shimmy is a bit more noticable, (heavier wheel)

I don't realy want to strip it all down and drop the oil seal out of the back of the swivel housing in order to check/ adjust the pre-load, is there a way I can do it by just dropping the track rod/ drag link off it and checking the resistance with the seal in place?

what reading should i be looking for on the spring balance?

Any tips would be most welcome... as this is driving me mad.

In short, Yes.

With the wheel off and the track rod/drag link disconnected check the preload in the normal way. I've not got the manual to hand at the moment, but a figure of around 9kg constant pull with the seal in place springs to mind. I think it's something like 1.5kg constant pull without the seal.

Matt

Thanks Matt, just the sort of reply i was hoping for.

So far i've done the following..

New swivel housings, wheel bearings and brake discs/ pads

New wheels and Tyres (ballanced correctly

New superpro panhard rod bushes

New old man emu steering damper

and still the shimmy exists at 60mph... I think it must be incorerect swivel pre-load....

I guess You have done but in your list you don't say...

Did you check the radius arm bushes and bolts?

Thanks Matt, just the sort of reply i was hoping for.

So far i've done the following..

New swivel housings, wheel bearings and brake discs/ pads

New wheels and Tyres (ballanced correctly

New superpro panhard rod bushes

New old man emu steering damper

and still the shimmy exists at 60mph... I think it must be incorerect swivel pre-load....

Mornin dude, as said above, just drop the drag link and set it to the upper end of the specified range, or till it feels right by hand (fairly stiff) - they do bed in quite quickly, mine did the same and have been perfect since I dropped one more thin shim.

right, a quick update... we reset the swivel pre-load today... took out quite a few thou of shims, they were both in the range of 2-3kg with the spring balance when i first checked, and required nearer 7kg when i'd finished... :rolleyes:

..the bad news is, there is still a bit of shimmy around 60mph... :(:angry:

I'm going to get the front wheel balancing checked, as I had the tyres fitted by the farmer next door, and i'm not convinced the balancing is perfect....

i also had a poke round at the front hockey stick bushes... both sides pretty knackered, so i'll be changing those next weekend...

If that, and a new pair of front shocks doesn't cure it, then i'm all out of good ideas....... :(

Les, the shimmy starts at approx 55mph, and is gone by 70... I'm going to get the balancing checked this week as i'm not convinced its perfect.

Whatever the outcome i'm sure the knackered shocks and hockey stick bushes ain't helping...