Lt77 backllash

sheltie50

Hi

Having just fitted a 200 tdi and gearbox into my 1983 classic I am worried about the amount of backlash I now have, there was some before but now I can almost feel the rear take up drive before the front, its not bushes or rear ball joint but could be front axle.

Symptoms are -- more of a bang than a clunk it I let the clutch out to quickly, I can push the r/r back and fore several inches with the handbrake on and can turn the fron propshaft quite a bit before the back takes up the slack, Is this the dreaded shaft wear problem, I checked the gearbox before fitting and it didnt look to bad.

Any polite suggestions.

Take the round cover off the back of the transfer box.

With the engine OFF & the vehicle in gear rock the vehicle back & forth whilst you look at the relative movement between the splines on the gearbox output shaft and those on the transfer box input gear.

Well I've had a look and there is about 1/4 inch of movement on the mainshaft before the gear takes up, I have rebuilt several Range Rover and others over the years but have never been into their gearbox's, I am really not sure of what I am seeing, how much wear would create clunky changes and backlash, there is some movement in the front diff so I will change it being an eternal optomist !

Can anyone give some advice please.

If the mainshaft moves and the gear doesnt it sounds badly worn! Sounds like you're gonna need a mainshaft and an input gear.

If you take the inspection plate off the back of the box, then take the bearing carrier off you should be able to remove the gear out the rear of the housing to inspect the splines. I think you'll find they're knackered!

Jon

Thanks Jon,

Thats what I was starting to think, looks like I've got a worn gearbox, I did have a look before fitting it, there was no gunge around the mainshaft and not much movement but had stood for a while, Ah well I suppose I need to look for another box, curses ! dont think there's a quick fix for this problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice, If anyone has any polite suggestions please tell me, if only to keep me sane while this job goes on and on ;-)

u dont have to get a new output shaft if u cad weld u can reapair the splines with weld and grind them down untill a new gear fits on nice and snuglly. ive done this to my 90 and several other ppl i know have donr this and done over 50k on them without them wearing.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply I can weld and am an ASNT NDT technician, I wouldnt really like to rely on this method of repair as I do lots of miles towing heavy trailers and our caravan all over the UK, thanks to my classic car hobby or is that obsession ! my wife is sure it's an illness ;-) you can see my interest on www.shetlandcms.co.uk.

I have found another gearbox, will have a look in the morning and update all.

Anyone tell me how much of a task it is to remove the mainshaft if push comes to shove, so to speak ;-(

Its a complete strip down of the LT77 basically.

IMHO mainshafts are not expensive, and therefore I'd change the shaft every time. Welding and grinding the splines is a horrible way of doing it.

In short to strip the box the only thing you need a special tool for is for removing the oil seal collar off the back of the box. The rest can be done with stnadard tools and a decent gear puller. If you're methodical its easy to do. You simply need to be careful when shimming the box to put it back together again. Its all shown in the haynes manual for the range rover and give you all the clearances etc.

I've done loads of them. Its well worthwhile chaecking the rest of the box over whilst you've got it apart and checking all the synchros, baulk ring clearances etc.

Jon