Alternator not working

Yesterday afternoon and today I've been needing to jump start my defender because the alternator isn't charging I don't think. I did notice in the past few days that the speed of the starter turning the engine over has decreased ever so slightly until yesterday when it didn't have enough to start it.

- The belt is tight.

- The two wires on the back that are fixed with a nut are both secure - are there any other connections?

The ignition light doesn't come on when I start the engine and does not come on when the engine is running and I will investigate this later.

I took it to Halford for them to check the alternator with a bit of fancy Bosch kit and it said 'ripple too small', any ideas?

I've heard that you can replace the brushes and rectifier, is this a worth while option?

Any help much appreciated (i.e. the best price for a new one), and yes I did have a look at the many other alternator threads before posting another!!

Steve

Hi,

In the tech section under 'A127 Alternator regulator replacement, By Luke' which i guess is you, there's a pic of said alternator and I think mine does look like that.

In the first pic of the alternator there's a white cable going to it - does it normally come from that direction because i don't think I have that cable and I may need to have a search under the bonnet for it, I guess that one is for the ign light.

At the monent I only have two wires connected to it and the haynes manual says three, so I think that may be my problem.

Yes I did thorough check on wednesday night and all the wires that should be connected were and I could pick up voltage fron the alternator as well as grounding the ignition bulb to light up.

So I went ahead an oredered an alternator from this place:

http://www.alternatormart.co.uk/

I ordered in at 3:30 and it came at about 10am the next day, excellant service! I had a scout through the previous posts about alternators and someone (can't remember who) recommended them so I thought I would go ahead and order one.

Got it fitted today and it works fine, battery voltage rises when you start the engine and falls again when you stop - excellant.

The only problem I had was that I had to rotate the front casting around one bolt hole so that the tensioner arm would fit - I had fun getting the brushes back on, but luckily I heard of the 'paper clip' trick on the forum - thanks Luke!

So I went ahead an oredered an alternator from this place:

Got it fitted today and it works fine, battery voltage rises when you start the engine and falls again when you stop - excellant.

Now you've your new alternator in, you can recondition your old one for about 15 quid.

reconditioning an A127

I was think the exact same thing, because I've seen the kits on ebay for, as you said £15, so with the the help of Lukes tech article I think I'll have a go.

Looking at the old one, one of the brushes had got stuck inside the regulator and the bush that the brushes rotate on is a bit chewed/warn.

So I think I have ago at reconditioning it for a spare!

Steve

Yes I was looking for one with the post terminals, rather than the blades.

That kit has blades, which is what I used in mine.

I think though, that that kit will work with with post terminals. You can see the post terminals in the picture.

IIRC the blade housing is just blanked off with a piece of plastic.

(Edit to add, the one in Luke's pic has an extra post, so I guess you'd have to change one of the cables to fit the blade)

Looking at the old one, one of the brushes had got stuck inside the regulator and the bush that the brushes rotate on is a bit chewed/warn.

That'll be the slip ring that is worn. If that's all that's dead, you might get away with out changing the rectifier and just change the slip ring and brush pack. I just did the lot for fun/learning.