Drivetrain Play ?

Just got a new '95 300tdi defender which i'm still checking over (read getting paranoid about yet to be discovered problems)

My question is how much "play" is normal in the drivetrain. Its done just under 110k.

If you put you foot down quickly on the accelerator, or lift it off quickly there is quite a noticeable "clonk" - best i can describe it as is it feels like there is a area of slack between power on and power off somewhere in the drivetrain - nothing too bad, but quite noticeable - just want to know if its normal. Wasn't like that at all in my old series III.

There can be a small amount of wear in almost all of the drive train, this can really add up by the time you get to the road wheels.

Try checking - Input gear on transfer box, output flanges on transfer box, prop shaft UJ's, input flanges on diffs, worn splines on half shafts, CV Joints, hub drive flanges.

Most of this can be check by supporting on axle stands & physical trying to move or rotate the part.

Good luck with your hunt.

Rod

its all comparative. I had myfront prop off for a couple of weeks and my god!!! the play was horrible.With teh front prop back on it felt like driving a tight sports car...errr.. not quite but you know what I mean... its just what you are used to. If you drive a normal car too, you will notice it alot more than if you only ever drive your landrover.

My 110 has 135k on the clock...

I put recon boxes on, and then new half shafts and flanges. Lift an axle (use stands chocks etc) rotate one wheel and see how far it goes before the other one on same axle starts turning the other way...

My rear was something like 60mm now down two 10mm) and front was 120mm and now down to almost nowt...

Measured with 1m steel ruler from tyre sidewall corner (edge of tread) to fixed point on vehicle (ie wheelarch) felt tip pen on tyre to get accurate reading.

Whole driving experience is much nicer, no 'slap' from back end when clutch goes out, and no rocking in low gears in traffic, AND traction control no longer comes in on drive off....