td5 cold start problem

bombx3

Hello ,i have upgraded to a td5 defender but have a problem when i start her up it starts a bit iffy smokes and surges for a about a minute then clears and runs fine.the tick over is a little higher then settes as normal after a minute.i had this problem years ago on my 200tdi but cant remember what it was but i think it was somethink to do with the pump

Regards

Ray

What do you mean by "cold start"?

Should the coolant temp be around 0 °C, the ECU automatically sets the engine idle to a slightly higher RPM, which will automatically go back to normal idle as soon as a milder temp is reached.

Don't know where you live, but here in Rome we are now well above the 0°C threshold, though...

As to the smoke, this sounds strange, unless you have a remapped ECU; try checking the EGR system, ensure that the EGR valve is perfectly close and not blocked open by carbon deposits.

What do you mean by "cold start"?

Should the coolant temp be around 0 °C, the ECU automatically sets the engine idle to a slightly higher RPM, which will automatically go back to normal idle as soon as a milder temp is reached.

Don't know where you live, but here in Rome we are now well above the 0°C threshold, though...

As to the smoke, this sounds strange, unless you have a remapped ECU; try checking the EGR system, ensure that the EGR valve is perfectly close and not blocked open by carbon deposits.

cold start its wet and horrible here .the revs are only higher untill it gets running after about a minute ,it ticks over at about 750 when warm then when cold about 1100 for about a minuite

I cannot explain whay the engine is heavily smokey for a minute and then it runs OK all at a time; a bit of smoke and harsh running might be due to one or two faulty glow plugs, but you should first have difficulties in firing the engine, insisting with the starter motor: is this the case?

Yes, glow plugs do pre and post heat, so a fault could explain post start smoke and harsh running (though within limits).

I believe this couldn't explain this strange behaviour, revs going up and down.

Fuel problems (fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump)? Maybe, but I do not understand why these symptoms disappear after one minute's run, never to come back.

i brought this 2005 90 at a auction 2 weeks ago it had 3parts full tank of fuel ,just gone down to fill her up and noticed a strange smell like VEG oil with perfume in it ,so i filled up with normal fuel and went to halfords and got some Millars 40plus(good stuff) and did a quick 40miles and its going great and smells like a normal 90.We will see if this cures it in the morning ,i got a feeling it will watch this space

Change the glow plugs, they are cheap. We often get TD5s where all four are fud.

surely that would put the light on the dash,even my old tdi showed that problem on the dash,was quoted £60 for the plugs