Winch weights

Top90

Hi all

I am looking at a de-mountable which fitting to swap from the front and back of my 90 when needed, then leave it in the garage when going to work.

A key point on the choice of winch is the weight.

Does anyone know how heavy an 8274, 9.5XP of something like an X9 would be if fitted with plasma rope instead of the cable?

Thanks,

Richard

I would guess that the wire rope is about 10kg.

For this application I would go for a low line with integral solenoids. There isn't going to be much difference in weight between any of them I would think. Certainly not enough to be the difference in choosing one winch over another - plenty of other "statistics" to sway you there!

Of course, don't forget the weight of the mounting tray too!

I've seen that a 9.5XP is around 45kg, but any idea how much lighter that will be without the wire rope?

cheers,

when i removed my wire it was 12kg with hook

so should be around the 31/33 kg mark for the x9.

here are the specs for the warn:

M8274-50 SPECS/PART NUMBERS

Part Numbers: PN 38631 CE (12V DC) , PN 375832 CE (24V DC)

Rated Line Pull: 8000 lbs. (3630 kgs.) single-line

Motor: 12V 4.6 hp/3.43kw, 24V 2.5 hp/3.43kw, Series WoundTM

Remote Control: Remote, 12' (3.7m) lead

Geartrain: Spur Gear

Gear Ratio: 134:1

Lubrication: 6 oz. SAE 30 (non-detergent)

Clutch (freespooling): Sliding Motor Pinion Gear

Brake: Automatic, disc type

Drum Diameter/Length: 3.5"/8.5" (9cm/22cm)

Weight: 110 lbs. (50 kgs.)

Wire Rope: 150', 5/16" diameter (46m, 8mm diam.)

Fairlead: Roller

Recommended Battery: 650 CCA for winching

Battery Leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)

Finish: Argent Gray Powder Coat with Clear Coat

Nuts: PN 7616, L/W: PN 2146

Bolts: PN 7165

I have recently made a demountable winch cradle and hitch. The winch i have is a the come-up ds9.5i. Due to lack of funds i'm using the original wire rope that came with it and the weight of the whole thing i'd guess would be about 60kg. It's pretty damm heavy and not the easiest thing to put in and out of the boot of a range rover. However, i am very pleased with it

Hi all

I am looking at a de-mountable which fitting to swap from the front and back of my 90 when needed, then leave it in the garage when going to work.

A key point on the choice of winch is the weight.

Does anyone know how heavy an 8274, 9.5XP of something like an X9 would be if fitted with plasma rope instead of the cable?

Thanks,

Richard

You might consider hydraulic and with quick release couplings taking on/off will be easier than electric? or were you going to use the high current flow type connectors that Si uses on the X-charge?

The nas rear step has a 2 inch receptor and because the nas has a rear fuel tank the normal method of 90 rear winch is just out of the question. I have considered using the receptor for a removable rear winch plenty of strength in the step since it is used for towing, but just a little bit too low?

I would have thought that the size, depth & weight of the 8274 would not make it suitable for quick mounting anyway.

To make it demountable would probably give it a huge over hang at the front.... I had one on my 130 with air-con grill...it stuck out like a bloody snow plough!

For quick mount systems...stick with one of the planetary gear winches or hydraulic would be the best for such application.

I've got a fully built 8274 sitting in the shed with a steel cable on it...it weighs a bloody tonne and never gets moved!

S.

I've got an M8000 on a cradle. I've tried to make it as light as possible with plasma rope, and an ali-hawse.

But I've not skimped on the electrical side with decent gauge cable and an Albright style solenoid pack, and an Anderson connector.

I can throw it on the scales later in the week, but its still pretty heavy, and you certainly wouldn't want anything bigger.

To be honest, i built it up, but I've never used it, and I don't think I will, so it could be for sale.

Thanks for the replies so far, Moglite I could well be interested. Was thinking XP as there is very little weight difference but if you are getting rid of it.... :)

I will be using the towbar mounting and something similar under the front bumper. The mounting being a bit low will not be a problem, if the front is stuck in I'll pull it backwards and I'm not doing anything extreme.

As I use the new 90 for trialling I don't want the weight of a winch on the front, or to cut away the front for a high mounted winch so I can keep it looking more standard. Basically, when I am going away on holiday I can throw it in the back.

Definately want to go electric, mainly for familiarity.

Richard

Well here is my setup. All up it weighs 26kg, I don't think you could do an 8,000lb winch setup much lighter

post-16-1211400736_thumb.jpg

post-16-1211400760_thumb.jpg

Spec is as follows

• * Warn M8000
    * Reciever Hitch mount from David Bowyer
    * Allbright style solenoid pack
    * 350A Anderson connector and all new wiring
    * Superwinch metal hand controller
    * ~85feet of thick plasma
    * Ali fairlead

Richard - if you are interested - flick me a PM. It all works 100%, but the motor is nothing special - being a 2nd hand motor from a vapour builder. It works fine, just a regular 2HP jobbie.

Andy