Sidewards facing seats

mike13401

Ok its my day for questions I guess.

Does anyone know what the law is with regard to seat belts on sidewards facing seats.

I remember you never used to need them.

ATB

Mike

Not allowed due to the risk of injury in the event of an accident.

What is not allowed? Do you mean S/F seats are not allowed anymore.

Sureley not the nanny state couldnt have gone that far ,could they??

I'm fairly sure you're not allowed to fit sideways seats anymore, but if they were an option when yours was built you can still have them, ie its not retrospective, I seriously would not fit them, the price of the forward facing ones has come down a lot, Yes if you have a head on with lap belts in a sideways facing seat your looking at a potentially huge force going through your pelvis/spine and abdomen...

You pays yer money....

Mike

Well Land Rover fitted them to my 110 when they built it in 2006 so I guess they are allowed :rolleyes:

Whether the seats are a good idea for high speed road use is another matter and I believe the EU law has now changed hence the 7 forward facing seats on 2007 onwards 110SW, and the fact you can no longer get rear seats at all in a 110HT.

You should not fit a child seat to a sideways facing seat though, there is something in the book about this.

side facing seats no longer fitted to Euro & UK market vehicles, lap belts only if fitted from new or retro-fitted by owner if side facing seats fitted, BUT not required if vehicle did not have the belts when built although there's nothing to stop you fitting lapbelts to them, provided you use decent size spreader plates on the outside of the wheel arch box to prevent the bolts/mounts pulling through.

Well Land Rover fitted them to my 110 when they built it in 2006 so I guess they are allowed :rolleyes:

Whether the seats are a good idea for high speed road use is another matter and I believe the EU law has now changed hence the 7 forward facing seats on 2007 onwards 110SW, and the fact you can no longer get rear seats at all in a 110HT.

You should not fit a child seat to a sideways facing seat though, there is something in the book about this.

I was wrong. Rather than saying not allowed I should have said not recommended.

"There has never been a legal requirement to fit seat belts in sideways-facing seats. The human body bends forward from the waist - it does not bend sideways and the potential for internal and spinal injury is high therefore if a passenger is secured with a seat belt in a sideways-facing seat. For similar reasons, the type-approval standard for child seats and boosters does not include fixing them in a sideways-facing seat."

Source: http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaign...seats/faq08.htm

But whether the injury would be less than having people flying around the inside of the landy I don't know.