Service History

Hi,

Being one for detail!

Something was bothering me about a forth coming cambelt change, the details of the last change, that was done by Austral Landrover (main dealer)here in Brisbane? I had spoke to them about the service history a while ago and was told that a cambelt change was done at 91,300K's in 2004, but I wanted to know what kit they used to solve the misalignment problems?

Here my problems started, they told me that they were unable to provide me with any details of the service history as it was against Privacy laws!!!!

So if you buy a second hand car you cannot trace he service history!!!!

Has anyone heard of this ? Or are they fobbing me off?

Cheers

Ted

Privacy laws sounds like rubbish to me. How can it be anything to do with privacy? You own the vehicle, so I can't see any problem with giving you the information on it's history.

Les.

Thats what I thought! and I did persist, but he stuck to his guns!

when i brought my audi i rang the audi garage where it had been serviced and they listed all the work that had been done to it and on what milage. it was really usefull as it had only just had the water pump and cambelt changed so i dont need to have the belt changed at the usual milage, which will save me a fortune.

Guest diesel_jim

wait for some liberal tree hugger to spout off....

"Land rovers have feelings too!!"....

privacy my arse. more likely they've not used the proper cambelt kit and are trying to cover themselves.

Next time you go in and ask them again if they still wont tell you tell them you're going to go down the local police station and ask them what the law is on it or get some sort of legal advice. That might help persuade them.

Nothing to do with the Police, it's a civil matter not criminal.

When you book your vehicle in to a garage for work to be done you enter into a private contract with the garage, any paperwork, invoices or records are between you and the garage and as such any future owner has no legal right to see them. So in that respect they are correct.

However, as the question you asked them really only concerns what parts were fitted on a job they have already admitted to doing i think they are being a bit petty.

Although it is a different country, I had a quick look at the Privacy Laws website for Australia (yes I am that sad) and it appears they are very similar to the Data Protection laws in the UK. The exchange of "personal information" would be illegal except in certain circumstances, but since the work done on any car would not fall into the category of "personal information" there should be no problem in handing over what you need to know.

As i said, i think the garage are being petty, but you have no right to the information.

Surly the easiest option is to contact the previous owner, either they will have the information required or can give the garage their permission to release it to you.

:unsure: This is one of the "gdonamded" (can be rearranged to get it's true meaning) reason I am getting all the knowledge on my car and planning for the next 70 years to do any basic service or advanced service on my car... all by meself!!!. And yeah after that all info is my so called "private property" ... If you ask me, dem guys have used something phoney and aren't willing to bear the next cost on the house...Sometimes the fierce looks help but I guess your looks are just too tame.... Get a Torpedo on them!!! :P

Hi,

Being one for detail!

Something was bothering me about a forth coming cambelt change, the details of the last change, that was done by Austral Landrover (main dealer)here in Brisbane? I had spoke to them about the service history a while ago and was told that a cambelt change was done at 91,300K's in 2004, but I wanted to know what kit they used to solve the misalignment problems?

Here my problems started, they told me that they were unable to provide me with any details of the service history as it was against Privacy laws!!!!

So if you buy a second hand car you cannot trace he service history!!!!

Has anyone heard of this ? Or are they fobbing me off?

Cheers

Ted

I would put it down to Austral being a bunch of idiots. I used to work for them and can say that with experiance :rolleyes: And southside Land rover are just as bad as they are owned by them also . I would and do go to the other serval land rover spealist around Brisbane .

If you really want to know the detail then go to the Volvo, Jag and Landy garage in the valley and ask to speak to Bob Kendall. He is the manager of the Whole Austral group in QLD. Really nice and freindly chap . He will help you with anything as he cares alot about these problems or you can call him on his phone number 07 3248 9484. He will get the info for you and kick some ar*e about it too

Where abouts are you . They are loads southside and northside

I would put it down to Austral being a bunch of idiots. I used to work for them and can say that with experiance :rolleyes: And southside Land rover are just as bad as they are owned by them also . I would and do go to the other serval land rover spealist around Brisbane .

If you really want to know the detail then go to the Volvo, Jag and Landy garage in the valley and ask to speak to Bob Kendall. He is the manager of the Whole Austral group in QLD. Really nice and freindly chap . He will help you with anything as he cares alot about these problems or you can call him on his phone number 07 3248 9484. He will get the info for you and kick some ar*e about it too

Where abouts are you . They are loads southside and northside

Very useful! Thanks for that, I'm north side and use MR Auto alot who are good!

What was your job with Austral?