Brake warning light

I’ve just noticed that my brake warning light comes on every now and then. It happens mostly when I go around corners or accelerate but if I take my foot of the power the light goes out. It sounds like a brake fluid issue to me but as I have NO mechanical knowledge at all I thought I would just check. If the pads need changing as they squeal from time to time is it a straight forward job that I could do?

Cheers all

Defender 300 Tdi 1995

What fluid should be used, mine started doing this too a couple of days ago but I haven't had time then to do it. It seems mostly effected by bumps. Is there a recomended interval at which the fluid should be changed?

you should use dot4 brake/clutch fluid, theoretically it should be changed every couple of years I think as its hygroscopic, in practice I'm not sure how many people ever bother, mine gets replaced on a rolling schedule as its changed whenever I end up working on the brakes and bleeding them,

Mike

Well i topped it up as it was half full (or half empty, however you see it). I'll go for a cruise later and see if it comes on again. I finally got round to replacing the cig lighter so I now actually charge stuff without it cutting out now.

Changing brake pads on a Defender is one of the easiest jobs to do, and a good place to start for someone with NO mechanical knowledge. Your really should have a look at the Technical Archive forum where there are easy to follow instructions (with pictures!) for just about all jobs. Here is how to change brake pads, courtesy of Les. One thing he does not mention - it should be taken for granted - is that the axle should be supported by an axle stand, not just the jack. If you are going to do any work on your Landy you will need a set of axle stands for safety reasons. But the way to look at it is, if you buy the stands and the tools to do the job, when it is done you may have spent the same as getting the pads changed at a garage, but you still have the tools :)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10687

it should be taken for granted - is that the axle should be supported by an axle stand, not just the jack.

To add to the "taken for granted", hand brake on, centre differential locked and chock the wheel opposite to the one you are lifting. Once you've removed the wheel, place it under the chassis of the truck.

When lowering the truck onto the stand, make sure the stand doesn't lift a leg as it takes the weight of the truck.