Gearbox rumble after fluid change...?

Astro_Al

Well, with Mr Moglite's generous help I changed the filter and fluid on my RR Classic auto box (ZF 4HP22), in a last ditch attempt to avoid a complete box swap.

Subsequently there is a kind of bag-of-spanners-sounding rumble while the engine is running (even in 'P'), and also during drive (possibly mainly at low speeds?).

Any clues as to whatthis could be? The old oil looked / smelled burnt, so I guess it has been too hot at some stage.

Any pointers appreciated.

Al

:)

Al,

I hope this was really the last ditch attempt to salvage the box - i.e. it wasn't functioning properly before you changed the oil?

Anyhow, the only things I can think of are:

1. Did you get the new filter back in correctly?

2. Have you the correct amount of fluid - don't forget when you drain the box the torque converter retains some oil so you don't need to put the full workshop manual capacity back in.

3. Er, dunno :blink:

Yeah, its certainly on its way out. I had the filter kit already, so I figured what the hell...

1. I guess so, it only screws up one way. The pick up tube was just a press fit though. Maybe its fallen off?!

2. Yeah, the plan is to drive it around a bit and re-drain and refil tomorrow night. To get as much oil as possible changed. As a sanity check, we did put back in roughly what we took out. Full capacity is 9.1 litres, we did about 4 or 5.

What started as a 5 minute oil change led to a darkness-closing-in nightmare in Moglite's driveway. Sheared bolts on the sump, gearbox cross-member removal and old oil that looked more like pureed manure. :o

Hmmm, got the AA membership on standby.

Cheers, Al.

Yeah, its certainly on its way out. I had the filter kit already, so I figured what the hell...

The pick up tube was just a press fit though.

Cheers, Al.

Held on by the long filter mounting screw & a spacer on mine. You did replace the two 'O' rings on the filter?

Yes sorry, you're right, there is a screw through the pipe bracket which has a spacer - all fitted correctly, I forgot about that. Hmm, can't be that then.

Bish - yeah, I read it, but I figured as a last (cheap?) possible solution to keep it running I'd give it a try. The lumpy dark brown mess that came out can't have been helping the situation.

I'm kind of hoping the noise is something (exhaust?) rubbing on the crossmember, but sadly I think the problem lies deeper inside.

Yes, the new O-rings were fitted.

Picking up a spare box tomorrow, but I'd rather just keep it running until the Mog is finished.

I'll re-change the oil tonight and see how we get on after that.

Cheers, Al.

:)

Ok I'll have to come clean... The rumble was from the gearbox sump against the gearbox crossmember. I'd put it back temporarily (light was falling) with only the lower bolts in, and it was about an inch higher than its normal position. :ph34r:

Following the second ATF change tonight, the gearbox seems about the same - no worse. Worrying silvery debris on the old filter tells me I'd better keep the AA card in my wallet.

Cheers, Al.

P.S. thanks to Moglite for the continued assistance and supply of engine oil... :ph34r::)

Al will be along in a minute I'm sure.

He'll be the one with his tail between his legs :lol:

But it was worth a shot, as that gearbox is shot. A gearbox sump that has obviously got /very/ hot, dark and smell fluid, metal bits - everything you don't want to see :(