tube bender... what you got/use regular

T1G UP

we got a job on for a load of handrail that needs doing on site, plus when it comes back to the workshop i can use it to knock up another cage etc.

What do you have and use?

looking for a decent one. trick tools have a good selection on the bay but ther state side, anyon in the uk you can recommend?

What material will you be using, and can you anchor a bender to the ground or must it be free-standing?

I have a Tubela one, but if you can, I'd recommend a draw type one over that.

If you're feeling adventurous I can email you the CAD drawings for a Pro-Tools HMR that you can make up for yourself?

Failing that, just order a decent one from Van Sant - JD^2 / Pro-Tools etc are all good.

What are you after? Air / hydro / leccy / manual?

Will you need a ring roller, or just small radius bends?

Cheers, Al.

:)

I have the JD2 model3 bender, makes very good bends with no kinks or marks, working out exactly where to position the pipe to get the bend where you want takes a bit of getting used to but not difficult once you have worked it out. It is also very repeatable so would be good if you were making batches of hand rails etc. It is not light and does need fixing securely to the ground so it would depend on where you were going to be working, whats available there to bolt it down to, you could probable bolt it to the bed of a lorry or trailer if you needed to move it around on site, but definately not as portable as a hydraulic bender. You do also need a different set of dies for each size of pipe and these aren't cheap but thats what gives you the quality of the bend.

I also have a JD2 Model 3 bender - and it's brilliant! Quick, repeatable, perfect bends.

Mine is mounted on a wheely base to make it easily movable - and I added a hydraulic ram (Ex Gate Opener) to automate it.

Thread about mine here Clicky

Si

Guest noggy

Si, can you tell me the english distro for JD2 benders? or do you have to order them from the states?

are they perfectly good enough to bend cage material?

do they come with the formers etc?

thanks.

There are one or two people selling them in the UK - but they are mucho expensive. I imported it myself and saved a few hundred quid.

It is perfect for making cages. The dies I have are 1 3/4" with 6.5" CLR and 1" with 3" CLR. The 1 3/4" will bend anything from 1.2mm to over 4mm wall without wrinkles.

You buy the bender mechanism then add the dies as necessary. I just bought what I thought would be most useful.

I'm also using Bend-Tech software which makes the whole thing a bit too easy.

Si

Guest noggy

yeah. ive seen trick tools on ebay, but there double the price normal price!

i imagine the 3 CLR rarely gets used?

why are JD2 so much cheaper than any other tube bender? theyre simple enough things...

i think i will look further into purchasing one :D

There are one or two people selling them in the UK - but they are mucho expensive. I imported it myself and saved a few hundred quid.

It is perfect for making cages. The dies I have are 1 3/4" with 6.5" CLR and 1" with 3" CLR. The 1 3/4" will bend anything from 1.2mm to over 4mm wall without wrinkles.

You buy the bender mechanism then add the dies as necessary. I just bought what I thought would be most useful.

I'm also using Bend-Tech software which makes the whole thing a bit too easy.

Si

CLR? centre line radius??

1 3/4" will that do 2" blue band?

i'm awaiting a price from tubela

and i got a power pack exactly the same as that for a rear steer and no will be used to power my jd2

Guest noggy

CLR is the distance from the start of the bend to the end of the bend.

a 3.5inch CLR is a tighter corner than a 5.5inch CLR :)

1 3/4" will that do 2" blue band?

There's a clue in the dimensions!

I've used both dies extensively. The 1" by 3" CLR is useful for mountings, turrets, frames, wheel-arches. If I were building a regular cage - it may not get used so much.

Si

How much do you want to spend??? Cheers Tim

Tim, as always as little as possible.

But as it's for the business then we are looking at the more expensive end that allows us to use the kit on a day to day basis and start producing certain items from our workshop.

Roll cages have been mentioned aswell as other motorsport / non mtorsport items