Swivel Preload value, with axle still on vehicle

Quick question about the Swivel Pin bearing pre load. I am attempting to fix a death wobble on the front of the Disco and have removed wheel and track rod and the hub assembly flops around with little effort. The Haynes book of lies only gives a value for a bench rebuild without the sweeper seals fitted (around 1-1.5 kg IIRC). I have also read another value with the assembly fully built up (ie on the truck) but cannot remember exactly what it was. Somewhere around 4-5kg??

If anyone can give me a definitive figure or point to a tech archive which lists it I would be most grateful

Cheers

Mark

When I did mine, I just unbolted the seal carrier and the seal easily came out and just hung off the swivel while I checked the preload. twas a little messy as all the one shot made a bid for escape !

Pre load without the seal according to my book is 3.6 - 4.5 kg (8 -10 lbs in proper measurement)

Best of luck but if it's floppy that's the same problem as I had !

1. Ease up the bolts on the swivel pins to take off the preload of the swivel bearings

2. Measure the oil seal resistance (you can lightly spray some wd40 on the ball before that and move it from side to side a couple of times)

3. Add the previous value to what the book says

4. Tight the swivel pin bolts back (at the correct torque) and check the preload against the new values

Definitely 8-10lbs with the seal in place - I've just done both of mine. You'll probably need a few spare shims of varying sizes/thicknesses and bear in mind that even the thinnest make a substantial difference when the pin is torqued up properly.

Just set them to have a reasonable amount of drag, your judgement is more than good enough to set them up. Not enough so as it is stiff to turn but tight enough that it wont just swing freely by itself and it will be perfect. Also check free play in the steering box, Ball joints and the damper.