Winch advice, please

I have £500 to spend on a winch and bumper for my '02 110, and would be grateful for any advice on my choice. Having no skill with things electrical or mechanical I'd rather buy the two as a package. The winch is mainly for self-recovery so line-speed is not important but reliability is. I have a Southdown steering guard on the vehicle and would prefer a bumper to fit with it.

I've searched the forum and looked at some websites; First Four and Winch Solutions seem to have good reputations and be well-priced. I saw this in particular (Champion C10,000G-S) and wondered if anyone can comment on likely reliability and value for money:

http://www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.asp?...B-DC09CBF557B7}

Any other suggestions or helpful pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil.

Ive just bought a winch from David Bowyer at Goodwinch http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

I cant recomend him enough he was absoloutely brilliant and a nice chap too. I bought a TDS 9.5, It seems really good quality, I bought it at sodbury sortout last weekend and one of the display models was submerged in water and hooked up to try, he seems to have great faith in the product, got a great deal too. Take a look on his website. :D

Dave.

Dave, many thanks for your recommendation, I looked at the Goodwinch site but the pricing for a winch and bumper seems to be beyond my budget.

Escape, thanks to you too, can I ask which T-max winch you bought?

Cheers,

Phil.

With your budget, I would suggest an EP9 from Mr Bowyer (Goodwinch) and a bumper from ebay.

The EP9 will fire up whenever you need it, even after leaving it for a while (as long as it is maintained).

The bumper issue could be the stumbling point, but as long as you are happy to wield a wire brush and a paintbrush, you'll find something to suit.

Your other option is a bikini mount. I have one and it fits to and over the existing bumper. Not very expensive and can be bought as part of a package from Goodwinch.

For that money I would definitely be looking at a TDS fom Goodwinch- very good bits of kit- I have seen them worked really hard in really challenging situations without a hitch- might stretch the budget just a little but well worth the extra over an EP9- if only for the better sealing which should mean that you can leave it somewhat longer between maintainance and still expect it to work when you need it most.

Thanks for your suggestions, I think perhaps I should make some calls once the weekend's out of the way. Like Marco, I think the Goodwinch TDS's look like Champion winches which made me wonder whether I could save something money and get the same thing with a different badge!

Does anyone have any comments about the Champion C10,000G-S Winch Solutions have on offer?

Cheers,

Phil.

The TDS winches are the same from champion but the one from good winch has an extra seal. Its on this page http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/tds.htm There is a video of it completely submerged, Champion is only a couple of quid cheaper.

Ive herd mixed reveiws of the Champion C10,000G-S I think its proberly worth paying that little bit more and getting the TDS 9.5 as it has solonids similar to Albrights (completely sealed).

Dave.

before you part with your cash i would ring Bowyer I am confident he will do you a deal, he does bumpers as well, the TDS from him has more seals and the greases etc are changed, the goldfish one has been in a tank at his place for over a week now and still works,

just a shame that the LR one would be attached to stops when it hits the water..........

He is well worth calling, you will also get the advice you need and the backup post sales.