1" lift

Hi,

Recently i bought a td5 90 soft top with 255/85 bfgs. The wheels seem to be "too big" under the arch so i thought of lifting the defender. To avoid going all the way with extended brake hoses, radius arms etc etc... i am looking for a decent +1" setup.

I use it mostly on road with some recreational offroad every now and then. Having said that, it's a soft top and the back is very light, currently not even carrying a spare wheel at the back and even with standard springs, the back is feels stiff. So ideally i think id prefer a soft setup.

I considered the red/white range springs for the back which (as researched on this forum) gives a lift of ~1.5" which i think i'll happy with too since they are softer than standard. Thought of fitting the red/yellow springs for the front to match the ~1.5". Did anyone try this kind of setup?

Any other suggestions please? I'm also looking for a set of matching shocks.

Thanks

Do you want those tyres because it might be slightly cheaper and probably easier and save a vehicle handling change to change the tyres.

I am sure they would be snapped up easily as quite a few people are looking for them-me included!

Pete

you could get a set of aluminium lifting blocks, fairly expensive for what they are, or buy some 90 HD rear springs, 110 front springs. and use the rubber spring isolators from a disco - should give you a good 1" lift all round and cost about 120 quid.

or you could use britpart heavy duty springs, perhaps a bit cheaper - I've used both, and would go with the genuine option and isolators for a mild lift as its cheap and retains quality and a good ride - britpart HD springs are a little firm perhaps for a 90.

there are quite a few different spring set ups available, I'm sure some of the other guys will be able to make some recommendations as well.

or you could change the orientation of the spring cups where the spring/axle join, invert them that will give a bit of list, or fit some spacers under the mounts.

If you use it mainly on road i would consider changing back to 235/85s, i am guessing the 255/85s are MTs so you could also change to a AT pattern and improve mpg with better acceleration (although more revs at crusing speeds) dues to diff in tyre ht.

there are alot of 2inch kits out there so that is an option worth considering if you want to keep the tyres as they can be cheaper.

If you use it mainly on road i would consider changing back to 235/85s, i am guessing the 255/85s are MTs so you could also change to a AT pattern and improve mpg with better acceleration (although more revs at crusing speeds) dues to diff in tyre ht.

Agreed!

Pete

Try Yellow/White standard TD5 90 rear springs on the front. They give a 1" lift with a winch and HD winch bumper, so should give you a 1.5" lift with your standard bumper. These are a 220 ftlbs/" spring so would give better on road handling if you go for the red/whites on the rear.

Cheers

Steve