gearbox advise

thanks to the people who have helped out with all my questions so far all advise taken in and stored or used already.but this one i think i know the what where the issue is. when i put my 90 in low and move either forward or back there is a horrible bearing colapsed teeth grinding kinda noise.guess its probably shot to bits and something quite important has broken

has any of you any experience re building?

or any advise on if its worth re building?

or good places to buy good s/hand or recon units?

any help or advise muchly appreciated :(

If it doesnt do it in High range then likelyhood is that something is broken in the transfer box. Not worth trying to re-build it, it's a bit beyond the average DIY mechanic. Not sure what truck you have but a second hand LT230 transfer box you can pick up for between £60-£80 usually, if you've never changed one before then i'd say it'll take you about a day.

Hope thats helps.

If it doesnt do it in High range then likelyhood is that something is broken in the transfer box. Not worth trying to re-build it, it's a bit beyond the average DIY mechanic. Not sure what truck you have but a second hand LT230 transfer box you can pick up for between £60-£80 usually, if you've never changed one before then i'd say it'll take you about a day.

Hope thats helps.

its a f plate 2.5.td and how can you tell what gearbox it is?

its a f plate 2.5.td and how can you tell what gearbox it is?

Yea thats an LT230 - used rite up untill the 300tdi's in one ratio form or another. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap.

There will be a plate on the back of it, just under the PTO cover on the main casing IIRC which will tell you the ratio you have in your box, i cant remember of the top of my head. Make sure you get one with the same ratio's and off you go. You could get one with different ratios, for example one off a 200tdi disco (they are plentyful) but you may find your engine isn't quite man enough for the higher ratio's. Anyway hope that makes some sense... :huh: I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but fairly sure thats it :rolleyes: - I'm talking about the T-Box here btw, you'll have an LT77 main box......

i posibly also have problem with center diff lock cant find out if it works correctly and dont wanna damage it any more than it is already.

but surely replacing the transfer box would sort this anyway?

so a disco transfer box would fit on my 90 with no hassle as long as its got the same ratio it wont matter?

i posibly also have problem with center diff lock cant find out if it works correctly and dont wanna damage it any more than it is already.

so a disco transfer box would fit on my 90 with no hassle as long as its got the same ratio it wont matter?

Yes - changing your T-Box will also sort out any problems with your center diff lock (providing the one you put in is a good one! :lol:)

A disco T-Box would fit on your 90 but you wont find one (from a disco) that has the same ratio's as you 90 because all disco's run higher ratio's. Your best bet is to find one from another 2.5TD similar to your's. Do check the ratio's before you buy/fit a replacment one though as some of the old 2.5 N/A diesels ran a lower ratio T-Box than your's currently has.

It's all a bit confusing but just check before you buy and you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

Yes - changing your T-Box will also sort out any problems with your center diff lock (providing the one you put in is a good one! :lol:)

A disco T-Box would fit on your 90 but you wont find one (from a disco) that has the same ratio's as you 90 because all disco's run higher ratio's. Your best bet is to find one from another 2.5TD similar to your's. Do check the ratio's before you buy/fit a replacment one though as some of the old 2.5 N/A diesels ran a lower ratio T-Box than your's currently has.

It's all a bit confusing but just check before you buy and you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

do you know any way i could check or things to look out for on buying a s/hand one?

Give Ashcroft Transmissions a ring they sell exceptionally good rebuilt boxes at very reasonable prices.

David or Ian Ashcroft run the business, they often post on this forum. They also do fitting if you are short of time or facilities for diy.

Go here for the details

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_8.html

Lots of satisfied customers including myself

Give Ashcroft Transmissions a ring they sell exceptionally good rebuilt boxes at very reasonable prices.

David or Ian Ashcroft run the business, they often post on this forum. They also do fitting if you are short of time or facilities for diy.

Go here for the details

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_8.html

Lots of satisfied customers including myself

was just looking at there site mate

do you know any way i could check or things to look out for on buying a s/hand one?

As mentioned if you have the money buy ashcrofts, if, like me, you dont, then things to look out for when buying a second hand one are; obvious use and buse (bear in mind it is second hand though), check that nothing is bent, make sure all the levers engage/disengage and generally feel for play/smooth turning of the propshaft output plates. :rolleyes:

There are a few different ratio for high, but the lows are all the same.

They start with the 1.222, 1.410, and the 1.6 : 1

Most defenders are fitted with the 1.410, unless it's a late Td5 County spec 110 which could have been in the 1.222 ratio. Have a peek under the box, you should see a sticker almost at the lowest part of the box bearing it's ratio. Might be cover with loads of mud, so you might need to clean it a lil.

About the ratio thing, if you have a 2.5TD, i doubt you will have the power to pull away easily on the 1.222, so a disco t-box might not be the best bet for you. I've just did a ratio swap from the 1.410 to the 1.222 on a standard Td5, and I find it just nice to pull away, but it will suffer when offroading and fully loaded.

So check the box ratio, if you can't find the lable, you can open up the cover and count the teeth like what Dave from ashcroft told me. It can be hard to find a good condition 2nd hand box as you can't really test it out fully if it's already sitting on the shelf.

If you have the cash, get a rebuild one as it will save you lostsa headache and cash in the future when you need to take out the box again should anything go wrong.