Hissing Special Track

Good day all,

I put the 90 back on the special tracks in preparation for the 31st, and as soon as I topped up the pressures from the 20psi I store them at, one began to hiss at the rim/tyre join. Having looked at it with the tyre still on, there is a fair amount of rusty colour around that area so wondering if it's rust causing a bad seal. I'm going to take it to a tyre place tomorow but I know nothing about tyres and I hate going to places knowing nothing about what I'm trying to get them to fix. I know yet again it's a problem description by the noise, but I'd like to at least have an idea of what it might be and what they're likely to say needs to be done, so that if they come out with "that's a new rim/tyre/both" I'll know they're probably not being too honest.

Any thoughts welcome.

Hi,, Sounds like you are describing a rim bead leaking ???

All a tyre place needs to do, is pop the tyre off the rim, clean up, and re-fit with some bead sealant,, so long as the rim is not completely pitted, should be fine

Do it yourself with a highlift

wheel off spare on,

take the valve core out or just let it down

lay the tyre under the front bumper

highlift on the tyre as near to the bead as possible jack the jack up this will put the weight on the tyre bead and push it off the rim

clean as much as possible, then get a ratchet strap around the tyres circumference in the middle and tighten it

then with an air gun inflate the tyre, this should reseat the bead.

If no compressor you can use a garage forecourt one.

I have the Tmax double pump variety that works very well

Tim,, think a fiver nowadays, is a tad on the bargain side !!! also if a tubeless tyre, they do not take kindly to having tubes fitted to them !!!

Sam ?? where are you Somerset or Cornwall ???

Tony,, you must like work,, doing one with a high-lift !!! :o

ATS and likes will refuse to fit a tube to a tubeless tyre, so its a back street jobby or a mate in the game.

Bill

Likewise,, only as a last resort, if pushed !!!!

Tony,, think i will stick to the machine, if its all the same !!

Do it yourself with a highlift

wheel off spare on,

take the valve core out or just let it down

lay the tyre under the front bumper

highlift on the tyre as near to the bead as possible jack the jack up this will put the weight on the tyre bead and push it off the rim

clean as much as possible, then get a ratchet strap around the tyres circumference in the middle and tighten it

then with an air gun inflate the tyre, this should reseat the bead.

If no compressor you can use a garage forecourt one.

I have the Tmax double pump variety that works very well

i use a bead bracker as all i do is jack hte landy up with my tyres

Tim,, think a fiver nowadays, is a tad on the bargain side !!! also if a tubeless tyre, they do not take kindly to having tubes fitted to them !!!

Tony,, you must like work,, doing one with a high-lift !!! :o

Well as i do all my own tyres, i would be out of tutch on price i dont bother getting the balanced as the 90 wont do 60

last time i had a tyre fitted it cost 10quid fitted balaced and new valve