Correcting a lean - how ?

neilwilson

300TDi 1997 D1, I have put new springs on it, Land Rover genuine HD at the rear and the correct handed Land Rover genuine ones at the front. New ES9000 shocks all round. I though before that it always had a lean and measured now it looks like the driver side is 1.5" lower.

Searching on LR4x4 and elsewhere it seems that a lean to the offside is common, but how/should I correct it ?

If I put 1.5" spacers under the springs I guess that would level it out but would it be likely to change the handling (as such) for better/worse ?

Part of me says leave it alone but it just doesn't look right, plus I have slightly oversize tyres 245/75/R16 KL71 fitted so I need to make that slight adjustment to the rear arch and I presume a lean means cutting off more on the drivers side that the passenger.

If I was going to get spacers are there any recommended places to obtain them ?

Thanks.

Neil

1.5" measured where?

From the ground up to the lip of the bodywork between the rear quarter the door.

I measured the springs in situ and they seemed to be the same although I will have a better attempt tomorrow.

I am beginning to think it is just a Land Rover thing and a bit of packing out with spacers should make it right.

Neil

I have a similar problem. On the drivers side rear, the distance from the highest point on the wheel arch to the highest point on the wheel is about 1.5 inches lower than the passenger side (running on 235/70/16's). The springs are both the same size and dont appear to be defective. Looking closely at the top spring mounting the gap between the mounting on the chassis and the body is about 2cm lower on the drivers side. I suspect this may be due to some abuse off roading maybe? Not sure how to correct it, maybe try jacking up the body on that side?

I agree, it does look odd, and has been annoying me for a while :angry:

Any suggestions on how this may be corrected would be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

My disco dosen't lean but it's still on the original springs.

For a diesel from vin MA116461 the front spring no's are Driver side ANR4351 Passenger side ANR4350 and for the V8 it's 572315 for both sides.

Rear springs for both vehicles are ANR3477 on both sides.

HD rear springs for both vehicles are STC8937 on both sides.

Note: Vehicles fitted with HD springs must have a front anti-roll bar fitted and have the rear anti-roll bar removed.

All the above info is in a disco parts catalogue.

300TDi 1997 D1, I have put new springs on it, Land Rover genuine HD at the rear and the correct handed Land Rover genuine ones at the front. New ES9000 shocks all round. I though before that it always had a lean and measured now it looks like the driver side is 1.5" lower.

Searching on LR4x4 and elsewhere it seems that a lean to the offside is common, but how/should I correct it ?

If I put 1.5" spacers under the springs I guess that would level it out but would it be likely to change the handling (as such) for better/worse ?

Part of me says leave it alone but it just doesn't look right, plus I have slightly oversize tyres 245/75/R16 KL71 fitted so I need to make that slight adjustment to the rear arch and I presume a lean means cutting off more on the drivers side that the passenger.

If I was going to get spacers are there any recommended places to obtain them ?

Thanks.

Neil

just got a 2" lift kit for mine, springs came form bearmach and the new shocks they are bringing in from ozz, the springs are paired , front/rear not side to side, same thing applied when I did my defender 90 , fitting 235/85/16 insa turbo dakar's with 1" body lift to keep chassis away from body so I can keep the bloody thing clean having replaced the rear floor and sills both inner and outer both sides, spacers may well alter caster/ camber on that one side so back to the tape measure it may be dangerous as well as ruin tyres, hope you sort it out.

I have noticed this on mine, looked at it tonight and it leans lower on the drivers side by a good 20mm, I would try and ask my local landrover dealer but as they are only interested in new stuff i expect all i will get is "oh its too old mate, sorry"

Is it a proven fact that the springs are harder or taller on the drivers side? if so why can't the kits being made allow for this!

Something so annoying is so simple to correct at source :angry2: