help i have a squeeling noise

hi everyone i am a new landrover owner, i bought a 1989 110csw 1 month ago and it has been great until yesterday when i was driving along at about 20 mph when there was this squeekin noise which seemed to stop when i took my foot off the accelarator, but returns as soon as i touch the pedal again. :angry:

it seems to be coming from underneath/front so i checked the fan belt as a precaution but all was well there, so i called into the village garage and the mechanic there suggeted checking the oil levels in the swivel ball/transferbox/gearbox/diffs etc so i returned home and did exactly that but all was fine. :(

so now i am stuck as i am totally new to all this landy stuff

please if any one has any suggestion i would be most gratefull

Could be your power steering fluid running down, pump begins to seize up, puts strain on the fan belt causing it to slip and squeek. Try that.... are you sure the fan belt is tight?

thanks for that i just checked the fluid level it was just below max so ok

but while i was in the engine bay i had a poke around and the drive belt to the power steering pump seemed quite tight so i slackened it off a bit and there is some play in the pulley on nthe end of the pump so while the belt was slak i took it for a little drive and quess what no squeek so far. :unsure:

so could the bearing in the pump be make the noise, if so can they be changed or is it a new pump :(

Hi guys, it does help if you put the model and engine type of your landy in your sig, or make sure that when you ask a question you specify exactly what Landy you have. Also it is a good idea to say where you are from (no criticism to those above who do say so) just in case someone living close to you can give you a hand if required.

The problem with Defenders is that they have been fitted with many engines and gearboxes since 1983, possibly a record for any vehicle. About the only common factor is the LT230 xfer box, but even those vary.

Mine whistles like a kettle at anything above 40 mph, the pitch of the noise rises with increased speed. Like yours, the problem disappears when letting up on the pedal! :ph34r: - I'll have a butchers at my PAS belt tomorrow and see if your fix works!