Power steering Question

white90

I fitted a new pump in Aug all was fine till recently when the steering became stiff in one direction and self centering from Left lock disappeared, once bled normal service resumed, then a trip on the motorway saw the same problem return, bled system again and all was well,

tonight we went laning and after the first lane the bluddy thing started again, well I ignored it and after a while the steering returned to normal.

I'm thinking the Pump is playing up(still under warranty), the supplier suggested the steering box itself.

I'm happy to replace what ever is flty but any ideas/suggestions as to what's happening...

PS laning in the dark can and does lead to:

smashed Alpine lights

Canvas tops popped from fixings

and in my case a sodding great dent in the roof after hitting the infamous telegraph pole again.....

TIA Tony

Edited by white90

Had a very similar thing on one of the 110s at work the other day. Prepared for the ££££ of a new steering box and it turned out it was just the steering damper was sticking/seizing - you would go round a corner, go to straighten up and suddenly find the self centreing disappeared which led to some "F!!!" moments as the vehicle attempted to climb the kerb and mow down any nearby buildings :)

New OME steering damper recently fitted, but thanks anyway.

I'm still thinking it is the pump.

I'll try another one if that cures it I'll take the one I got back to the dealer.

I fitted a Bearmach one all was well until recently when it seemed to start playing up after a motorway drive.

tonight it started after a bit of laning.

I'm sure they'll sort it if the pump is to blame as they have always been good to me with spares etc.

The Box has no leaks and when you bleed it no air comes out but the problem goes away.

if the box were flty I think it would go wrong and stay broke till it was fixed whereas the pump could be inter failing causing loss of assisatance possibly?

Edited by white90

New OME steering damper recently fitted, but thanks anyway.

I'm still thinking it is the pump.

I'll try another one if that cures it I'll take the one I got back to the dealer.

I fitted a Bearmach one all was well until recently when it seemed to start playing up after a motorway drive.

tonight it started after a bit of laning.

I'm sure they'll sort it if the pump is to blame as they have always been good to me with spares etc.

The Box has no leaks and when you bleed it no air comes out but the problem goes away.

if the box were flty I think it would go wrong and stay broke till it was fixed whereas the pump could be inter failing causing loss of assisatance possibly?

Tony,

Check the coloum UJs first.

Stiffness in one direction is very often a seized UJ

Dave

PS you have a PM

thanks for the replies.

The steering UJ's are seemingly fine replaced not to long ago and kept greased, as the problem goes away after fluid is let through the box I leaning towards box/pump.

apparently the pump is producing no pressure in reality in the straight ahead position so the speed of the pump is not an issue according to western power steering also the sysytem is meant to be a self bleeding one.

the odd thing is it goes back to normal when fluid is let through the box, as no air is seen to appear.

I'll have to watch it for a week to see how it goes. as I can't be doing with taking the box off and waiting for a recon so near to xmas.