Drivers Door Lock - Locked

The key nor the interior catch will unlock the drivers door. No amount of fiddling or spraying with WD40 on the internals will release it. Key turns easy enough but it won't turn that last little bit to actually unlock the door. The interior catch lifts a little up not that last quarter inch. On the basis of how fragile most things are I didn't want to force it.

Any ideas on how I get my door open - getting a little bored with having to use the passesnger door. :(

Hi W,

Not sure what the locking mechanism on yours looks like. Suggest you have a look at the manual or else open the passenger side up to see how it fits together. In the meantime you can use the back door for access or the drivers side window ...... should be more interesting .... :ph34r::rofl:

Cheers

Wikus

This happened to the front passenger door on my 110 a while back. The mechanism is probably either seized or disconnected.

With a bit of fiddling it is possible to remove the door trim and get to the mechanism. Start by levering out the plastic "plug" thingy in the bottom corner - it is close to the seat box so a large flat screwdriver will help. Next remove the interior handle, window winder and the interior door lock.

With a bit of luck you should now be able to unclip the top of the door lining and get your hand inside and release the lock. With the door unlocked and open remove the door trim completely. You should now be able to see the problem.

Steve

I had this on my old 90 and the problem turned out to be that the button on the outer handle was slightly pressed. If this is the case, the door mechanism will not allow unlocking. I would suggest you push the button in with your thumb and then slide your thumb off sideways so that the button pops out hard and all the way. You may find that the inside handle also has the same effect, offer it similar treatment. The slightly crumpled rear passenger door on my current 110 does the same occasionally.

HTH

Chris

I was rennovating my door locks just yesterday - the reason my drivers door wouldn't unlock (using key) was that the plastic plunger was binding against the plastic surround/bezel/runner as it is pushed at an angle by the mechanism. The cure was to move the runner unit towards the back of the vehicle (undo the two screws on top slightly, and slide them back along the oval holes to move the runners) to prevent it binding. A bit of grease should stop that from happening again.

However - as you interior lock doesn't work either, I doubt this is the solution. It may help with the key though as you have very little mechanical advantage when using the key.

CC

I get this problem in icy weather ifs its rained cos the buttons get frozen in and need some warm water. I once had to kneel and breath on it for a while cos I was in the middle of nowhere. I considered peeing on it but decided against. Does sound like it hasn't released properly.

mine is like this and for me to get in i have to hole the key hard to the right and push the button to open the door then once the door is open push the lock up inside so i dont get locked out again

on mine it is the linkage on the lock back worn.

I had a similar problem and it took months to solve it. I think u must manage to get the door opened by rolling down the window and use a wire latch to disentangle the mechanism from within. I think the best afterwards would be to either change locks or re-straighten the metal latches in the door mechanism..There are some little metal clippings which holds the metals in place. within this clippings are some rubbers which go defect after a while.. It is a real pain in the past.... I experienced this for 2 months.. (:::: It looks too like they used very cheap stuff in the Lr locking mechanism... :blink:

Looks like we are all members of the same club! Spend a lot of time on door lock problems, renewed locks and handles but still not 100%. If nothing happens at all I expect one of the small rods to be disconected. If they are fine it does sometimes help if you push the complete door a bit into the rubbers while turning the key.

Cheers

Marco