I have a Budgie under my Defender - Propshaft or Uj's

Just looking for some advice people! I have a Budgie under my Defender 90 county and I have wondered and wondered what it was. When I checked the forums out I dutifully checked my propshafts and the rear one is as loose as well..... Its loose.

Should I change the whole shaft or get a set of Uj's and fit them?

Its a big difference in price but I am thinking about the long run.

dennis

Ah, the old tweeting underbody budgie (Annoyingus Squeakus)!

Its probably just the UJ's, if you know how.....take 'em off & see if they are servicable....i.e just get into those grease nipples. If not, I would just replace the UJ & not necessarily the whole prop, unless its completely had it, or looks like it wont last much longer.

Make sure theres minimal wear in the slip joint prior to renewing the ujs. Ive managed to accumilate a bit of wear to the slipjoint from worn ujs & renewing the ujs quietened the birdies but didnt silence them. Might save yourself the hassle of renewing the ujs, but obviously youll need a complete propshaft then.

Personally I found getting the old UJ's out a bit of a pain, and if I were doing it for a client, it would be cheaper (labout etc) to get a prop.

I ended up getting one UJ out with a grinder (cut spiders off then used old UJ race in vice to free up old one)

I see you might be local, so try these guys http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...search&fgtp=

just a curious question.

having cover over 120k km on my defender, should I just change the U joints or do i wait till they start to scream?

this truck usually sits on the tarmac with the ocassional green laning, so i doubt that 2 off roading sessions would have inflicted any damage to them.

I followed the link above and it was an amazing step by step of removing and fitting. I did the job in 2 hours having never done it before I am impressed with myself. Thankyou so much for your help guys! it only cost me £18 for everything.

just a curious question.

having cover over 120k km on my defender, should I just change the U joints or do i wait till they start to scream?

this truck usually sits on the tarmac with the ocassional green laning, so i doubt that 2 off roading sessions would have inflicted any damage to them.

On my 109" series III, the UJs have covered well over 300.000 kms, and are still there; they have some slight play, but work well with no noise or vibration.

I must say that they got grease on a monthly base, more or less...

Same greasing frequence on my 110" with almost 130k kms (2001 MY), and they look and work perfectly.

If you look at Les' thread on UJs replacement, you'll see UJs as dry as the Death Valley desert... even rusty!