Swivels:- Grease or oil

Right here's the story.

I'm replacing both swivels on my Range Rover, balls, bearings, seals, CV's. The lot.

I'm also fitting Bailcast rubber gaiters while I'm at it.

So the quandry, EP90 or one shot grease?

With the new seals and the gaiters, water shouldn't get in there, and ol shouldn't get out. So there's a point for oil. Oil will also be thrown around by the CV and do a thorough job of lubing the pins ( bear in mind that on ABS equipped Range Rovers it's a taper roller race at the bottom and a Railko bush at the top.) Should any water find it's way in there, it will be flushed out when the oil is changed at routine service.

Now grease. Will do as good if not better a job of lubing the CV joint, certainly will not leak out past the new seals and gaiters. Not so sure it'll get thrown around enough to thoroughly lube that top Railko bush. (I had been running one shaot grease due to leaky swivels, and guess what? A top swivel bush went clunky!)

Should any water find it's way in, it's all but impossible to get one shot grease out without stripping the swivel housing down.

Over to you my learned comrades.

if the new swivels have a top fill plug & centre level plug & a bottom drain plug I'd go for EP90, if the new swivels only have a level plug then their meant for the 'one-shot' grease & will be teflon coated on the outer dome too. chromed ones are no longer available.

Before deciding on oil or grease, you should consider 'down time' If you have oil in the swivels and your truck breaks down and spends months on the drive, then the oil will settle and things will start to rust above it. With grease - it tends to pretty-much stay put, so components are more protected.

If you think you might spend a large amount of time broken down, then use grease. If you like to delude yourself, then use oil.

Les. :P