Newbie oil question

id try here http://www.landrover.ee/est/varia/downloads/cars.htm also google land rover RAVE, all usefull stuff there.

Also just a little pointer from experience make sure you get GL4 spec EP90 or EP80w/90 for the transfer box, someone please correct me if im wrong, but i have heard it has brass components in there. They recommend GL4 spec in the workshop manual either way.

Good Luck!!

id try here http://www.landrover.ee/est/varia/downloads/cars.htm also google land rover RAVE, all usefull stuff there.

Also just a little pointer from experience make sure you get GL4 spec EP90 or EP80w/90 for the transfer box, someone please correct me if im wrong, but i have heard it has brass components in there. They recommend GL4 spec in the workshop manual either way.

Good Luck!!

Actually the book says GL4 or 5, and FWIW the latest LT230's come from the factory with a semi-synthetic 75W-90 GL5. Just from a protection point of view, and with the dreaded spline wear problem in mind, I'd stick with a good 75/80w-90 GL5 lube.

Most better GL5's these days have the sulphur EP component 'buffered' to reduce copper discolouration. if in doubt, ask for a spec sheet and it should have the copper corrosion spec on there, and if '1B' it will be fine with yellow metals.

The basic difference between the two specs is that GL4's have about 1/3 the level of EP additives of a GL5.

what does EP90 look like, As i'm sure someone said it was black but when I got some it was a golden colour.

Pete

Yea it is golden and smells disinctivly awfull - dont spill it in the bacl of your truck, takes weeks for the smell to go! :P