Auto guru's

DefcoL

AS per topic description, what is the difference on a disco 1

between the ZF4HP22 auto box for the V8

and the ZF4HP22 auto box for the 300tdi?

Is it just the Valve block? and or governor valve weights? and how easy to change to suit the 300tdi?

Also does anyone know how to rig them to hold in any gear selected?

MTIA

Loz

I've been here relatively recently.........

If you have a factory 300 auto fitting a V8 autobox into it will become major agro as the rear housing is 2" longer on the 300 autobox so the whole box is therefore 2" longer and none of the chassis mounts, linkages propshafts etc will fit.

However if you're looking to do a conversion where you'd have to sort all that lot out anyway then it is a little easier. Either transfer box will fit to either autobox - there is no problem there. You will need to swap the bellhousing and torque converter over at the very least, and you'll also have to use a 300tdi kickdown cable as the V8 one is too short. Be aware that changing a kick down cable requires removal of the vavle chest for the autobox. Do not attempt it unless you are sure you know what you are doing!

That will allow it all to fit into the car, however the shift points etc will be wrong as the autobox will be set up for a v8. Quite how wrong they'll be I'm not sure about.

As mine is a factory 300 auto i ended up getting my box rebuilt by ashcrofts and I have to say it has absolutely transformed the vehicle. It drives so much more smoothly and you can now barely feel it change gear. They well deserve their reputation IMHO.

Jon

Hi ashtrans

ref the rear housing & output shaft being different, does that mean that the transfer box from the v8 auto will not fit the 300tdi ?

I was hoping to use it on my 300tdi auto.

tia

loz

either auto will still accept the LT230,

I've got a V8 box behind a 300Tdi, with a conversion plate and some homemade bits to make it all work.

It fits and drives, changes gear as you might expect. I don't feel the shift points are particularly unsuited to the Tdi, except the willingness to kick down to third at 75mph, when the rev counter goes into orbit. I suspect a 300 box wouldn't have this 'feature'. The torque converter locks up at 35mph on mine, but I think this is because it has the wrong t-box on the back (although I can't work out if it's a 1.4 or a 1.6, there's no labels on it :))

The V8 box works, but it's probably not as good as a pukka 300-valved unit.

• 3 weeks later...
either auto will still accept the LT230,

Hi Dave

what is the optimum oil temp for your stage 1 box (as ordered) to fit my 300tdi disco?

I have also ordered the Derale 15800 cooler with fan, so now need to locate the right control and probe.

Any uk suggestions?

Loz