O/T Antivirus software

Guest deleted

Guest noggy

meh! you guys suck, i dont understand how people get viruses?

ive not had a firewall/antivirus for atleast 4 years now, and my PC is perfectly fine, not had anything gone wrong, and its still as fast as it was when it was new!

ive even got windose firewall turned off because it caused complications with applications i run.

common sense is the thing that keeps my PC bug free, oh and use firefox! (or Flock) not sh**y IE

meh! you guys suck, i dont understand how people get viruses?

ive not had a firewall/antivirus for atleast 4 years now, and my PC is perfectly fine, not had anything gone wrong, and its still as fast as it was when it was new!

ive even got windose firewall turned off because it caused complications with applications i run.

common sense is the thing that keeps my PC bug free, oh and use firefox! (or Flock) not sh**y IE

How would you know, unless you had a virus checker? We had AVG free installed on a PC at work and the IT person came around to put Norton on and said it was happily coexisting with at least 3 trojans for quite some time, the users had not noticed anything but they were there.

Common sense is a great help but sadly no longer all you need...

Having worked in the IT industry for over 10 years now (ouch, that makes me feel old!! :ph34r: ) I have had nothing but pain and grief wherever I have encountered a Norton installation.

There used to be a tool available from Symantec to completely remove any version of NAV, (because their uninstaller was rubbish LOL) but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

However I did read something the other day, probably in PCPro about Symantec's plans for a Zero-impact anti-virus solution (meaning that it will use little or no system resources and have no effect on the system). Maybe they have been listening to their customers after all? I suppose only time will tell.

Been using AVG here at work for the past few years and its been pretty good, but I'm liking the look of Kaparsky.

new one that i have installed both on the server our client PC is ESET NOD32 which seems to have no effect on resourc e allocation at all but cleaned up all sorts of viruses across the network that neither AVAST nor AVG had found!

It gets my vote from now on!

So what about say AVAST for Antivirus, SPYBOT .....and is windows Firewall in Vista OK ????????????

Sounds a good combination ;)

If you are behind a decent router, and your wifi is encrypted (it should be by default on many home oriented systems nowadays) then you can disable the windows firewall completely, as the router takes care of it for you.

One thing to avoid like the plague is the small games that are available for download, can't think of the names off hand but they often contain viruses, and because people want to play the game, they ignore the fact that they install all sorts of malware on your system -I have had a few customers computers go down just because of some crappy 10MB game they want to play, and then they immediately install it again, and it needs another reinstall.

Some people just never listen :rolleyes: